Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bushrat

Open ports

I have found that my computer has a lot of open ports. In command prompt I typed in "netstat -a" and a crap load of ports are open. Is that normal or is there programs that are running and keeping those ports open. I need someone tell me how to close them or keep an eye on them on what's going on on my PC.

If you are worried about open ports (and not all of them are able to be closed, go to this page: http://www.pivx.com/qwikfix.asp . This software was produced to close those ports and other vulnerabilities that have been used by hackers and worms.

It didn't help, no ports were closed.. The software didn't close anything...

I find it best to get a gateway for broadband use, I personally still use an old Linksys but there are so many out there now and if you have the extra money to spend then perhaps a SOHO Watchguard or Sonicwall firewall would be great to have along with the Cisco PIX boxes.

Anyways, I've also used in the past a software based firewall from Zone Labs, called Zone Alarm. There have been some users complaining of issues using this app but I can't say I've ever run into any of them myself. The nice thing about this is that it will work for both broadband and dial-up users and by default closes the ports and you have to allow what ever app is trying to use said port(s)...