Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linuxnewbie-mandrake 101

Lan and WAN config problems

Hi I have Mandrake 10.0 official installed on my computer. The only way I have access to connecting to the internet is by using the motorola surfboard 4200 cable modem either by ethernet or usb. However when I try both approches I get the same result: nothing. During boot the code says eth0: failed which I believe is partly responsible for this problem. I am currently using realtek 8139 as my NIC.

I also have a DI-514 router to connect my other computers to the internet, this router also does not work. My main concern however is getting the computer with Mandrake installed online. The other computers are second priority.

If anyone could help with any ides or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Also I am new to the Linux scene so please be patient with me and take the tiome to explain the steps I must take. Thankyou in advance.

In order to get Mandrake to work, you need to be connected via the realtek card. The system should be like this;

DL-514 (main connection)-->Cable modem

Mandrake system via Realtek NIC-->DL-514

I assume your ISP uses dynamic assignment of IP?

Did you tell Mandrake, during the install, to use DHCP on start?

Then you can go into the Mandrake Control Center, which should be start-->System-->Configuration--> Configure-->Configure your Computer-->Network & Internet.

Once there, click on Manage Connections.You should see on the first dropdown menu eth0 Realtek|RTL-8139.

Is this the case, or does the internet work after connecting the system as mentioned above?

OK, and the realtek is connected to the router via a cat 5 cable, not directly to the USB modem?

I'll look at Mandrake later on. You can try to add another connection in the Control Center. I think that I remember to set it up as lan, but let me look at this more.

a pointer to the documentation your ISP provides for setting up the cable modem

would really help..

it would be best to start off with a "known good" configuration and then

make changes one at a time.

as in (stepwise):

1. one computer connected to the cable modem using a 'configuration supported

by the ISP' (meaning: usually Windows).

(this to learn if your ISP uses an unusual network design)

2. the same computer and configuration now connected to the DI-514,

and the DI-514 connected to the cable modem.

(this to learn how to set up the DI-514 WAN port)

3. once it's known how to configure the WAN port, then it's possible to know

how to set up the DI-514 DHCP server for your LAN.

(this to learn how to set up the other computers on your LAN)

4. if the DI-514 is anything like my DI-774, then it's default is to send all wireless

traffic directly to the WAN port. No wireless to LAN traffic is permitted.

(good for security, but maybe not what you have in mind?)

1. Coaxil cable to cable modem- ethernet or usb cable from modem to computer- winodws 98se-xp pro

2. Coaxil cable to cable modem- ethernet cable from modem to WAN ort on DI-514 rouer- ethernet cable from router to computer- windows 98SE- XP PRO

3. I have DHCP server disabled

my ISP is optimum online www.optonline.com

my DI-514 signals my computer is connected.

great!

I gather setup #1 worked just fine, right?

now, did setup #2 work? or were you only able to communicate with

the d-link wifi box (the DI-514)?

btw, thanks for the info about the ISP. I looked through their technical support.

They're careful to avoid actually providing much help in setting up your own

LAN using their service. tsk!

when the d-link box says the WAN port is ready, what does it say about it?

can you collect the info from the Management section about the WAN port?

(don't post a screenshot, if you can avoid it, please)

I'm most interested in seeing what it says the IP addr is of the WAN port.

don't enable the DHCP server of the d-link box until it's clear it won't interfere

with the WAN port settings.

when you have successfully communicated with the d-link box, use WinXP and:

Start -> Run -> "cmd" -> OK (you type what's in the "" chars)

then: "ipconfig /all"

please report: the info from your ethernet interface

so far so good .. one step forward at a time...

Just a note on my config. Senario 2 works on my D-Link wireless router. As long as you avoid USB...use ethernet only to connect each computer to the router.

Alright. You said you used that other driver, and now it works fine. I am having the exact same problem you were having... Even with a gigabyte! wink Anywho, when I try to load that driver to use it for the hardware, a message comes up, but goes away just as fast, and then it ask me again to select another driver, or use the default ( RTL8169 ) What can I do to perhaps force it to use that driver?... It won't let me choose anything other than the default.

Give us a little more inforation.

How is your system set up? With a router?

Motherboard make/model. Onboard or pci NIC card?

Are you also using Mandrake 10, as well?

Sorry.

Gigabyte GA-7n400 PRo2 with onboard nic. I am indeed behind a router. And this is in MDK 10.1. Though I was having the same problem in 10.

I think it says "RTL8169" or somthing along the lines.

[Edited by Agizor on 2004-10-27 08:33:37]

Looks like the RTL8169 is the correct driver for the Gigabyte lan. Did you set it up to use dhcp during the install? I'm assuming this is cable?

Does the connection work with any other os and onboard lan is set active (enabled) in the bios?

No other nic card on the system?

BTW, nice motherboard!

Looks like some have had success.here.

Yeah, I think it's the right diver. And yep, it's DHCP and all. Tried MANY different times with differnt combo's of settings. I have windows XP duelbooting alongside, and it works just dandy.

And nope, there are no other NICS in the system. Although im nearly to the point to just pop in the Linksys PCI ethernet... I HOPE that would work heh..

Btw, thanks smile

Interesting! The Mandrake site does not list the board or nic card as supported. I would pop in the Linksys card and see what happens. I would also pop it into a slot which is not next to the agp video card slot. The issue may also be the bForce chipset on the board.

See if it gets picked up, then you can troubleshoot the onboard later on. You may need to disable the onboard support for the nic card in the bio, as well.

Yeah, RealTek is crap in MDK. Works flawless in Fedora though. ALright though.. I'll put the Linsys 2 PCI's under the AGP and tell ya how it goes.

Thanks

Actually, my realtek 8139 nic cards (I have three of them) work well in Mandrake. The issue is the Realtek Gigabyte onboard.

Once you get the nic up and going, then we can work on the Realtek gigabyte issue.

Remember, stay away from the pci slot right next to the agp card. Sometimes they share resources and there can be a resource conflict. Use pci slot 2, 3 or 4.

Yeah. I believe it may just be the fact that they are onboard, and I am to newb to configure them properly.. Althogh I can in the control centre, it seems like it needs more help than that wink

Anyway, trying it out today.. I'll get back to you.

Okaaaay.. well I tried a RealTek NIC ( actuall Card ) and it failed just like the onboard. but getting the Linksys back tommarow, and HOPEFULLY things will go okay? : /

Try disabling the onboard nic in the bios, boot up Mandrake and see if it gets picked up. If not, when in Mandrake, go to start-->system-->configuration--> configure your computer. Click on the Network & Internet, then Manage Connections. See if the Realtek is listed. If you need to get this far, let us know what you see. Also look under the Options tab and see if start at boot is selected. If not check it and save the changes.

If you still have no luck, let us know.

I (too) have the Gigabyte GA-7n400 PRO2, on which I have installed Mandrake 10. It is dual-booted with Windows XP.

The on-board Realtek RTL8169 works fine under Windows. However, I have had no success in Mandrake. I'm going to have a play around with it, and I'll let you know of a solution (if any).

Let me know of any success you have.

smile

Hi guys, i am new to this place but i arrived here because i used me good old copernic search engine and searched for the exact keywords: "help mandrake 10.1 no internet eth0 failed gigabyte"

ummm.... i dont know whether to ROFL or start /banging head on desk frown I am SOOOOO PISSED right now!!! I have been toying with Linux for 2 weeks, i have tried SuSE (ran flawless cept no compiling tools included but i managed to get that goin)... then i tried knoppix, then i tried Red Hat and Finally Fedora b4 moving on to Mandrake.

ALL OF WHICH WORKED outta the box with network/internet on my Gigabyte board. Now... i am a multimedia buff and i have been reading mandrake is the way to go when it comes to linux if thats yer thing. ALSO... after ALL THE CRAP i been through, i decided to BUY MANDRAKE 10.1 Powerpack DVD... and GUESS FUGGIN WHAT???? Same BS as what i been reading in this forum!!! I am not a newb to computers/networks but not a Linux Guru by any stretch. However, I'll have you know I have TRIED installing internet/network on Linux 10.1 official using the wizard for ADSL, LAN and Manual. I would like to ADD... i have tried now with THREE...count em... THREE WORKING Nics!! Not to mention I have reinstalled this pig-linux about 20 times in the past 24 hours.

I have a Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro2 mobo

i have tried with the following THREE NICs

Onboard Gigabyte Realtek 8169

PCI Realtek 8139c

PCI D-Link 530-TX

I have been up for over 24 hours TRYING to get this PoS to work and i can not... someone PLEASE tell me they have figured this out!!! I am really getting burnt up that i actually PUT OUT MONEY for a Free OS, in good faith that i was supporting the development of the best multimedia distro out there....and they didnt even tell me the glove was gonna be cold when i bent over frown

Sure, i have a working gforce 6800, SB audigy and all that, but F%$# me! no internet???? WTF??

Sorry for my long post and my obvious frustration but i am so angry at Mandrake for releasing this crap in an "Official Release" that i PAID FOR!!!

By the way, Windoze' internet werks FINE with any of the 3 NICs. Grrrr...

Has anyone figured this out???

BTW full system info:

Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official DVD Download (8 hours on ADSL /gag)

Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro2 board

768 MB RAM DDR

Athlon 2000+ xp

Leadtek Gforce 6800

Creative SB Audigy

Linksys 4 port Router(model BEFSR41)

and them 3 NICs i posted above have been tried frown

BTW, i hd NO PROBS whatsoever with ANY of the other companies distros i have tried up until i decided to BUY a version that alot of people have said is the best. Well just my dumb luck or is there a fix?? HELP PLEASE!