Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Somedude127

Trouble with Canon s330. Prints but is too light.

Hey folks, first time poster long time reader, I've taken the plunge into Linux because as a poor college student I can't afford to spend $400 or whatevere on the MS Office suite.

I've got a dual boot Dell Inspirion 5100 with Windows XP (SP2) and Fedora Core 2. I'm using Gnome as my desktop environ, and everything has been working smoothly except I am having major trouble with my printer. It's a USB Canon S330. It was detected and setup alright as far as I could tell, though it does seem to be using drivers for the s800 for some reason, and does print well except for one minor problem. The ink is way too light to be legible. I've tried lots of things to darken it up but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this workable? Or am I going to have to save all my work to a fat32 partition I have set up to swap files between my OS's so I can print it in Windows?

Any help would be greatly appericiated.

Take a look at Canon's faq page on LinuxPrinting.org support page here

Look at section 25. Does this help at all?

if you were to choose the "S300 gimp-print" driver instead of the "bj8pa06n.upp" driver,

you can adjust first the "Print Mode" option (try a higher quality) and then

adjust second the "Density" option (try increasing 0.1 at a time).

try using the Control Center gui (or Fedora equivalent) to adjust the printer

settings/options/parameters.

Hey guys thanks for the help I managed to get the correct settings on the CUPS stuff to make the thing look fairly decent. Now my only problem is the stability of OpenOffice. It seems to crash when I use the automatic spell checker highlights. :-P Does anyone happen to have a suggestion for a Photoshop replacement on the Linux side?

Hi Somedude127 and welcome to Linuxcompatible! smile

The very reason I've not moved over completely to Core 2 is because of problems I've encountered trying to use Open Office, and I must have a stable word processor for a huge writing project I'm working on. OO in Core 1 is rock solid.

As far as Photoshop is concerned, it purportedly works reasonably well using Crossover Wine, so you might want to check that out. I've never used Photoshop although I hear it's heads and shoulders above the rest. The Gimp may suit your needs, and it should be right there in your menu.

Originally posted by Somedude127:

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for the help I managed to get the correct settings on the CUPS stuff to make the thing look fairly decent. Now my only problem is the stability of OpenOffice. It seems to crash when I use the automatic spell checker highlights. :-P Does anyone happen to have a suggestion for a Photoshop replacement on the Linux side?

I've got the same printer, and was previously using the S600 driver, as recommended by others. Printed black and white beautifully, but color was always just simply wrong.

Any chance you could share the settings you used with the S300-Gimp-print driver?

Thanks in advance.