Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bulio

speedstream 5200 modem help

Hi everyone,

I have mandrake 10 official edition on 3 cds That I plan to install. Due to an itermittent motherboard problem my computer can't get an ethernet card installed (which I don't have). The current modem I use is an efficient networks speedstream 5200 usb/ethernet modem (using usb connection) I have tried googling to find drivers for it, but I have found none. Does anyone know of any links for drivers (I have checked main site they don't have any for linux) or has this modem using usb in linux, and how?

thanks

this bit of advice looks very hopeful.

here's a link to someone who has a similar set up.

this message seems hopeful, too.

I should stop looking.. this modem has been around since 2000.

(see this link)

Plug it in, it'll probably work. Have you checked the Mandrake hardware compatibility

list?

(BTW, my google searches were "speedstream 5200 linux" and "mandrake speedstream 5200" )

I am pretty much new to the linux OS, although I have used it at work some. I just installed RH linux 9.0 dual boot with win2k, and I can't seem to get my speedstream 5200 working. I checked out those links, but the one that seems most appropriate says, hook it up and it'll work. It don't. Do I need to mount it or what? In the network setup wizard, there is no option for speedstream hardware. Efficient networks isn't even listed in the company page. I have my 5200 hooked up through the usb port, and using a adsl connection. Should I also hook up the modem through ehternet for linux? I read somewhere that linux recognizes and sets up ethernet much better than usb.

What always suprises me is that forums and links found through Google often say "it works" but never tell you how it works.

This question has come up a few times on this forum.

First, realize that you are using an older version of RedHat, which is a fine version, but USB support is limited.

You will save yourself a lot of headaches, if you plan on using RedHat 9, or Linux at all, by not using USB with your DSL or cable connection. What I have always done, is to buy an inexpensive NIC card (one with a realtek chipset or Lynksys) and a router and connect it up the "traditional" way.

NIC cards ar cheap, at about $10 USD. Also routers are very inexpensive these days, as well.

You connect the system up as follows;

DSL cable to the modem.

Modem CAT5 cable to the main router connection.

NIC card on your system to the secondary router connection.

Then use the Network configuration to set up the NIC card. Make sure that you choose dhcp on startup when going through the Network Configuration utility.

This works for me every time on Roadrunner.

I Need the Same Help

Using Mandrake 10.1. Speedstream As Router and sharing the connection in 2 pcs.

In the modem settings page , says that USB link is UP, and the USB view recognize as speedstream modem, but no success in get connection work.

Anyone Can help ?