Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jahman

CANNON LBP660 converted from PARALLEL TO USB and WXP

Hi all,

i've just changed my "old" desktop computer to an "ultra laptop". Unfortunately, there is no paralel port on these new devices. So, i cannot use my Canon LBP660 printer any longer in its original Paralel configuration. I've bought a "Paralel to Usb" cable (IEEE-1284 Controller). the cable seems to work fine, my WXP Os recognize the controler and the printer Canon LBP660 (nice !) but ... Windows asks for a installation (and a driver). Of course the original Canon LBP 660 "Paralel software" does not work (windows error while trying to install the printer).

DO you already have experienced this configuration (it should be the same problem with all original Paralel printers) ?

Can sbd help me or give some ideas ?

Nota: sorry for my english ... i'm french !

My first reaction is that LBP660 is an "old" printer. Are there XP drivers for it? You might be able to find some W2K drivers that might work.

My second reaction is that you might want to be concerned about the power output going to that printer through your USB port once you resolve the driver issue.

Know this does not resolve your issue, but if you do find the appropriate drivers, you should be able to install them as you typically would through Add a Printer and pointing to wherever you have saved the downloaded drivers on your hard drive.

Is the LBP660 a "Windows Printing System" printer? If so, I don't think you'll be able to find XP drivers for it. Microsoft ditched support for WPS after 98/ME.

You may be able to get away using the Win2k drivers - try the Canon website for this driver version.

Bear in mind that the driver may not be too happy with the USB-Parallel cable, but give it a go.

Rgds

AndyF

thank you for your answers .... i can only see that i surely be forced to buy another printer !!! ;(

even if i think and i'm sure that .... grrrrr !!!

You might want to try this driver:

http://etienne.o.free.fr/download/lbp660/lbp660_win2k_XP.exe

Didn't try it though, as my LBP-660 is connected to the print server. And yes, its a WPS.

Doesn't your parallel-usb-adapter come with a driver? I own one cable for the serial port and it installs a new (virtual) COM, depending in which USB-port I plug it. When starting a terminal, I have to look in the Computer properties which COM port is needed.

About the power: I don't think it's not a problem, parallel port does not deliver much itself (30 ms maybe), while each USB-Host delivers minimum 500 mA (says the USB-specification, many motherboard deliver more).

If you want more help, you may mail me (in French too), see http://www.rthiery.de

indeed, i had a driver with this cable. But it's specified that it s only if i do not have a system higher than WXP. So i do not use it. It seems to be good because the printer is recognized by window while connecting the usb cable. the problem occurs when i try to install/configure the printer. i have no solutions !

i forgot to tell you thank you for your reply... i already had the link you mentioned in your reply ... with no success !

Well, I moved the printer and plugged it to my XP machine: definitely working.

Windows XP Home SP1 with all available Critical Updates, German.

Check your settings for parallel port: for me its set on ECP, with a IO/address, an IRQ and a DMA channel. Default setting didn't work for me.

How to change it on your USB cable? Don't know, maybe windows or oem driver let you do it.

Just for information: what do you do with your "old" machine? If ts not too noisy, you might consider use it as a server (print, file, router or what ever).