Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Auto-Insert Notification

How does one adjust Auto-Insert Notification under Windows 2000?

Under Win98 one just has to go into the Device Manager, and the CD-ROM has a checkbox for this under it. I tried to find it in Windows 2000 but no luck!!

I install VMWare trial and it turned it off, so now I cannot figure out how to turn it back on. frown

I was snooping around the registy by typing regedit at the run prompt and I came across to this. Go to hkey_local_machine\system\controlset001\services\cdrom, there is a dword value called autorun. Mine is set to "1". I am assuming this is how to get the auto insert notification going but I wont risk trying to disable it on my machine (If it is not broken, dont break it!)

run this at cmd line : C:\Winnt\system32\gpedit.msc

go to administrative templates / system

and change "Disable Autoplay" to enabled and set to CD-Dom only

do it for local computer and userconf.

maybe it helps smile

[This message has been edited by BadCop (edited 02 February 2000).]

Autoplay and Auto-Insert Notification are two different things. Autoplay is just a feature that Microsoft has developed. Auto-Insert Notification is when the drive reports that a new CD has been inserted (it doesn't necessarily autorun it). The problem I am having is Autoplay is on, but Auto-Insert Notification is off. This is annoying because I can replace the CD and it still shows that the old one is there until I hit refresh..