Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2k_freak!

Geforce or Radeon?

I am i gamer and i wanted to noe whether i should go for Geforce or Radoen my budget is quite tight.

i have a ATi Radeon 9800 XXL and i am very happy with the nice graphics i have. My brothers both have a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti and there graphics are nice too... I cannot choose... There are some nice things on the Geforce that arent on the Radeon, but there are also some nice things on the Radeon that are not on the Geforce.... its your choice... Lisend to the other replies.

how tight is your budget? around 50€? around 100€? 150€? and which graphics card do you have now? also give us your system specs

I have a p4 2.4 ghz with HT Tech, 512 mb RAM, Motherboard: ASUS 845PE. thatz the specs my budget's round USD$ 150.(real tight ehh?) And i heard of the upcoming PCI express do u think i should wait for its graphic cards to come out i have a FX5200 now and it suckz when playing games like doom 3. anyway if u r free can u take a look at this thread?http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread28313-1.html this is my primary worry bout my old computer

As far as Doom III is concerned, check the 'How's Doom III treating you?' thread, and follow a link towards the last posts. Some people have put up a page, showing computer specs and fps in Doom III. With a 5600 you would play it in 1024x786, high details (not ultra), vsync off, at around 20-22 fps..... draw your own conclusions.

As for the 150$, that would probably get you a GF5700/GF5750 (brand depending) here in Greece. For about 15$ more you can get a Radeon X600, or maybe a cheap GF5900. You MB has (I am guessing) the Intel Extreme Graphics, and compared to that the GF5200 is a speed demon. Bare in mind that if you want to get a PCI-Express card, you'll need to get a newer MB as well...

Happy hunting!

OK so i now have i higher bugdet like about USD$200 and i dont only want to play doom 3! I wanna get a video card that would lasts. laugh Anyway the MB is not a prob but will PCI express graphics be a HUGE difference compared to modern graphics? as i would consider upgrading my MB if it is worth it. wink

PCIe won't give you any performance benefits at the moment, because even games like Doom3 and HL2 don't stress the AGP8x bus, let alone a PCIe 16x bus.

At the moment, there is no overiding reason why you should upgrade to PCIe - it'll be at least another 12-18 months before it becomes mainstream and we see PCIe only motherboards.

Save your money and spend it on an AGP card now

Just my humble opinion...

AndyF

Well, I'd reccomend checking out some prices on www.compgeeks.com. See, I've had trouble with both ATI, and Nvidia... Mind you, it was ATI Rage Fury Maxx, and Geforce4 MX440 SE with a PCI interface... on top of that, I'm running windows XP on an AMD system (Abit KT7A-RAID mobo). I think compgeeks has a load of 128 MB DDR AGP video cards, all for under $100. Take a look there, then maybe do a yahoo search including the video card name you're looking into, your operating system, and your motherboard. (The yahoo search will tell you if anyone has problems with the card before you buy it).