Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoUp

Please help with sound problem!

I am having problems with my sound whenever I play games like Half-Life. At some point while playing I will lose sound and have to reboot. I am using an Abit BP6 with dual celerons. It does it with both an MX300 and an SBLive Gamer. I am running build 2195 of Win2k Pro. I have done a clean install both times with each sound card. Is this just related to the drivers not being completely SMP compatible? Here is the way I have my cards arranged now:

AGP: Voodoo 3

PCI 1: Nothing

PCI 2: Network Card

PCI 3: SCSI Card

PCI 4: Sblive

had similar problem with the BP6, still tracing it, looks like sound driver related, waiting for creative to release full set of driver.

I had a similar problem with smp and a MX300 however when the sound died anything accessing direct sound would crash and hang. My sblive 1024 is perfectly fine.

I had the same problem with my MX300, my sound would stop working and the only way to fix the sound was to reload the game.

What I found that helps is to turn off the

hardware acceleration for audio playback.

This can be found under control panel, sounds

and multimedia, audio.

I hope this helps,

[This message has been edited by mmone (edited 21 January 2000).]

Nope that didn't help either. Argh this really sucks. It happens with both the Live and MX300. I wish someone would release SMP compatible drivers that would fully work.

The MX300 works perfect for me using SMP. Try taking out all your other cards and see if the problem still persists. It might be an IRQ related problem...

I'm having problems with my Sound Forte 64-PCF board. I can't even install drivers. Anyone knows what to do?????

Well I changed the IRQ for the MX300 to 9. USB still shares the IRQ with it though. I was hoping it wouldn't after I changed IRQ's. The sound didn't cut out all day today but my computer did crash twice while playing games. I think that it is still sound related. Any more ideas?

If you're not having problems with the sound anymore, then its probably not sound related. Try disabling the IRQ for the USB and see if that helps. On my BP6 the MX300 works fine but I still get occasional crashes but I think they are due to the beta NVidia drivers. Win2000 is just very crash prone with games, so you may just have to put up with it...

So am I hearing this right? The Vortex 2 / SMP problem is fixed with the final version of Windows 2000? If so... my SB Live Value is coming out and I'm reinstalling my Xitel Storm Platnium I've been dying to get back to!

If anyone else can comment on Windows 2000 Final performing in SMP mode I'd sure love to hear it!!!

Merk

The Vortex2 drivers have been SMP "compliant" (ie not crash AS MUCH) since RC3 I think. However, I don't see any reason to replace the SBLive with the Vortex2 as you don't get 4 speaker support or the digital out on it (as far as I've been able to figure out) so it really wouldn't make much difference.

Reasons I've been dying to go back to my Xitel Storm Platnium instead of my SB Live Value...

1) The Optical Out connects to my DD Receiver and provides a great alternate to my Four Point 1000 Speakers.

2) I prefer the 3D sound from the Xitel. Games like Half-Life sound good and do have sound "movement" with the Live... but the Xitel is the most realistic IMHO.

3) Aside from the Wave Studio software that comes with all Creative sound cards... the extra software wasn't terribly useful. I like the simple setup with the Xitel.

So anyway... I'm not having any troubles with W2K yet, but I didn't get around to configuring all my other devices last night. We'll see how it works the next couple days, and then I'll try to provide an update.

Merk

As I've said, the optical out doesn't work in Win2K on the Xitel card (or atleast it doesn't work for me) and there is no A3D support for Win2K yet AFAIK.

So if those are your only reasons for switching then you should probably wait until better drivers for the Vortex2 come out (supposedly Aureal will release drivers 2 wks or so after the official release) because right now the SBLive drivers are a bit more stable.

If you check out the hardware section of this page, not the message board, you will find a Registry Key fix for the TOS_LINK output a.k.a Spdif