Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ParkerAndrews

Computer Freeze!!!

My friend recently built me a computer to use at home. However, after minor usage, I found that my new computer had the tendency to freeze a lot. Often it will freeze at the windows welcome screen, and other times it will freeze when I insert a new cd into the dvd-rom drive. Please help me if you can.

First of all welcome to the forum.

You have to ask your friend that built your computer and be more specific about things (like hardware, OS, service packs, drivers, possible patches, software) because your description is too general and there might be hundreds of things that you might have to go through in order to find a workaround for the problem.

For us to help you you will have to provide a bit more information i'm afraid.

Take care.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I'm running windows XP professional, but my friend says he gave me a pirated version of it, could that be the problem? Because I can't download any service packs or updates from microsoft. In any case, I'm getting a legit version to see if I can clear it up. The hardware specs on the comp are p4 2.8 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hard drive, and i'm not sure what else, but i can check if you tell me what you need. thanks.

When you get your legitimate copy, clean install it. It may want to "repair" the previous install. Don't let it. With a clean install you should eradicate all traces of the pirated version and you should be able to go to Microsoft to register your legitimate version. Then, go to Windows update and install all of the Service Packs especially those that are critical.

so then it is the pirated copy of windows xp? are there any hardware issues that could cause the same problem to occur? i just hope it isnt a hardware issue. i'll try your method first, thanks for your help.

It's unlikely to be the version of XP itself that is causing the crash, but it could be related to the fact that you're not using the most up-to-date patches. I'm not condoning the fact that your friend installed a pirate version of XP, and I wholeheartedly agree with your decision to get a legitimate copy - I'm just saying that the fact it's a pirated copy of XP is unlikely to cause the crashes in and of itself.

If it's crashing when you insert something into the DVD drive, it could be a PSU issue. What power (how many watts) is your PSU rated for? Could you swap it out for another one, just to check?

When it's crashing, is it just hanging or does Windows restart? If it's restarting, you need to enable the BSOD so that we can see what's causing the crash:

In the Control Panel, double click on System, click on the Advanced tab, click on "Startup & Recover" and take OFF the tick that says "Automatically reboot"

If the system is hanging, it's more likely a hardware issue than an issue with Windows.

Hope this helps

AndyF

When it does crash, it hangs instead of restarting. It usually crashes at the "welcome screen." I have an antec 350 watt power supply that came installed with the case. I don't run anything power intensive on my computer, just a few games, so I didn't think it'd be an issue with power, but I may be wrong. Also, my computer runs fine in safe mode. Here are my full specs:

CPU P4/2.8CGHz

KINGSTON 512 MB DDRAM DDR400 PC3200

ASUS P4P800 SE MOTHERBOARD

WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB 7200 RPM HD

ANTEC 350 WATT SMART BLUE POWER SUPPLY

GEFORCE FX 5900 XT 128MB VIDEO CARD

LITE-ON 52X CD-RW

SONY 16X DVD-ROM

Not sure when the rumor started and I don't know it as a fact, but I have seen it on other boards that a pirated copy of XP will turn all users to Guests after a while. If you have a legitimate copy of XP, just do a clean install. At least then you will know if it hard ware related or not.

I would go with the idea of aquiring the legit version of Windows XP. However, i have been using WinXP Pirate copy for almost 2 years now and i have had no problems. However one time installing it, it would restart at the welcome screen god knows why i think it was my Hard Drive failing. Anyway to get to the point, if you are having problems when in installing Legit XP it is mosrt likley a Hardware issue and you should go ot the person who built it and check it out, it may be something is confplicting with each other (not compatible).

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Dragoonis

Hi,

I am having a very similar problem with both my new PCs. I built them myself (something which I have done a lot of over the years) and they too fail (about 40% of the time) when I insert a disk into either of the DVD / CD combi drives. Specs are;

Intel P4 3.4 GHz

1GIG RAM

WD 74BG SATA 10K RPM

ABIT AS8 Mth Board

Radeon 9600 AGP video card

Sony DVD R/W

Sony DVD R

I can't help getting the feeling that it's some conflict with the SATA (but that's just a guess)...

I would Really like to find a solution to this as I'm sure would you! Please post any successes you have ASAP, or mail me with your results. (rob.holmes@rgsit.com)

Also, regarding your dodgy XP... I doubt that is causing your problem, but yes, you're best to get legitimate...

Regards...

Rob.

i have that same problem and i will tell you right now sony sucks, it is the drives because i bought a vaio with the sony dvd-rw drive and it also freezes, it may quite possibly be a windows xp professional problem with the drives because i didnt have the problem when i first bought the computer and it had the xp home edition

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have a look at Nero and also I think the PSU suggestion may have possibilities. I'll let you know how I get on.

Rob.

I think I have this problem solved. I have replaced the DVD RW in one of the machines, and that one no longer freezes. I guess it must be the Sony drive.