Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
michaeljbrooks

Problems with Service Pack 2 to Windows XP

Snakeplissken-

As far as the monitor is concerned, that behavor is likely to occur when the refresh rate of the monitor is set to the default of 60Hz. If you set it higher (72Hz, 75Hz, or 85Hz) it will likely go back to how you are used to seeing it.

As far as #2-5, since you're dealing with core OS components, it's likely there are severe version mismatches going on. Best bet? Back up personal data and reinstall the OS. Probably not worth the time and effort to try to "ressurect" the OS with that level of corruption.

Also, with a *free* Service Pack, Microsoft isn't making a dime. Actually, considering the long development time (I had my first beta build of SP2 last December, the 10th if I recall correctly) and R&D into security, I would actually say this Service Pack has cost Microsoft millions of dollars. Oh, and they're giving away free CDs of SP2, free shipping too. All of this adds to the cost.

As I said, I was a beta tester. There were probably about 100k beta testers, and several thousand more users downloaded the "Technicial Preview" build that was available to the public. However, it is IMPOSSIBLE to try to isolate every possible testing scenario prior to release. This is why (advanced) users are/were encouraged to download the preview release. You could have submitted feedback at that time as well.

And before you think I'm just a "fanboy" of Microsoft, I administer mostly Linux and IBM AIX servers at work. smile

BSOD the Solution:

Did you install Service Pack 2? Are you now suffering from the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)?. Here is the solution. I have spent 4 days hunting down the cause of my machine crashing and have finally cracked it. Maybe other people have a different cause than mine so my solution may not work for everyone.

After installing SP2 I suffered many crashes. In particular the Screen would turn blue and display a message starting "Bad_Pool_Header". And ending with STOP: 0X000000019....

Then my four day hunt for the cause started.

BSOD Solution

Basically I found two causes of the BSOD.

Cause 1: Corrupted file or folder.

Cause 2: Microsoft Indexing Service

Possibly these two causes are linked.[/b]

Solution for Cause 1

Onen up Explore (right click the start button), and expand your directory tree, starting from the C: drive. Click on each folder in turn and see if any cause the BSOD to appear. If so, reboot, and simply attempt to copy the folder, and then delete it.

Solution for Cause No 2

Switch off Microsoft's indexing service. You can do this by clicking the start button, select "Run", then type "msconfig", then select the "Services" TAB, scroll down to the Indexing Service and Switch it off. Reboot your computer, and good luck - maybe it will work, It solved the problem for me.

At first I thought I must have a third party software or hardware conflicting with SP2, but even after I had disconnected the internet, switched off all items in the startup TAB of msconfig, was still getting the BSOD. I tried surface scans, chkdsk, scan disk etc all to no avail. I tried defragmenting the disk, but the frequent crashes may have made things worse.

I discovered the computer was now crashing after about 7.5 minutes of being switched on. It did not matter whether anyone logged in or not.

Finally I went to msconfig (Start Run, MSCONFIG) and switched off "process System.ini files, Load System files, Load Startup Items. And the comuter stopped crashing. So then I added the item back one by one until I discovered the Microsoft Corporation Indexing Service which was causing the crash. I switched it off and switched everything else back on and AT LAST... No more BSODbold textbold textbold textbold textunderlined textunderlined text

Thats certainly interesting!

All I can say is that SP2 never bsod'd on my machine... and indexing is off (I mean the service is disabled, not just the checkbox unticked)- so theres a little bit more evidence for your findings smile

I stopped reading the posts in this thread after the 4th or 5th one and basically skimmed thru the rest but there seems to be alot of people out there having problems with the upgrade, I HAD NONE!

I did experience some slowdown before the SECOND reboot (prolly due to PF stuff, etc.) but after that all was fine, EXCEPT:

the Task Scheduler is no longer reliable (on my machine anyway).

Symantec acknowledges a problem on their end with Norton AV being kicked off from the SP2 scheduler and is working on it but my Ace Utilities and even Ntbackup no longer kickoff reliably even though I have deleted the old entries and reactivated new ones for each application.

That being said, I see no difference for the non-networked home user (I am standalone), including NO SYSTEM DEGRADATION but NO VISIBLE IMPROVEMENTS either! Then again, perhaps improvements working at the same system speed as before, albeit unbeknownst to me, is an improvement in itself.

Bottom line, they really need to fix the Task Scheduler problem but other than that, no difference to me so I'll suffer (perform manual kickoffs) until the fixes come versus uninstalling SP2... but to each his own.

G/L.

Interesting that you mention the Task Scheduler, it is supposed to have some new functionality, but I haven't yet had a chance to check it out in depth yet.

I'd like to verify what peterh said earlier in this thread:

Sometimes it takes a LONG time for SP 2 to finalize after the initial reboot.

I had a user today who called me up freaking out because her machine was now just sitting at a blank windows screen after login. No icons, no task tray.

After reading this thread I told her to just login and let it sit at that blank windows screen for 15-30 minutes. Sure enough, 15 minutes later she called me back and reported that it finished whatever it was up[censored] and everything came up normaly.

XP SP2 is flawed, I have sevral computers at different locations, that re not communicating and some not connecting to the network domain any more.

Wireless networking in a peer to peer environment is almost impossible, especially if you share an internet connection.

NetSpy cafe management software from Cyberage Systems, identifies XP SP2 as a definite no if you currently plan to use their software, it dows not even allow their software to install.

Remote installation of software is not functioning.

And the list goes on.

Dont use it unless you are in the cutting edge of technology and do not require to use software like Norton's Antivirus and NetSpy.

Did I mention that Norton's Antivirus 2004 Professional does not update the Application module due to SP2. Also you will notice a major slow down of your system, if NAV2004 is installed.

Best shot wait for the next release of XP SP2x which should address these problems.

Just came across this Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885626

Your computer stops responding when you restart to complete the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2

This article discusses how to resolve an issue where your computer stops responding (hangs) when you restart to complete the installation of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. This issue occurs on a limited number of systems that use a version of basic input/output system (BIOS) that does not have production support for Intel Pentium 4 and Intel Celeron D processors based on the Prescott C-0 stepping.

And the link to download the patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;DisplayLang=en

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Boy, I don't KNOW if I want to install this XP SP #2, if I EVER even run XP again... I like good ole' Windows 2000 plenty to be quite blunt about it!

APK

now installed, clean, on 8 machines at work, this machine (beta build) and my wifes old laptop.

ZERO problems

it's slightly less fat than sp1 (as far as rescoures) so it runs better on the old p3 600 x 256 laptop than sp1. it's got better driver support for the old stuff and as far as the engineering stations it runs faster than sp1 on long crunching cycles. java seems to interface better so less hangups with vm and java fighting things out.

the old problem with properly dealing with scsi drives seems to have been fixed and thru put has jumped even on this older u160.

norton corp av hasnt shown any of the temperament that i saw with sp1 either, and im not seeing the goofy little problems i was having with my wireless network here at home.

all in all it's not a bad service pack when installed clean. ms did a bangup job

I too downloaded the service pack and at first, my printer wouldn't work. Apparently I need a new driver update, exceot Canon hasn't issues one yet for my dinosaur.

But then this am, after trying to correct the driver issue, when I went to reboot, it froze.... unplugged for 10 sec, rebooot, same deal. Took six times to get rebooted, at which point I decided to remove the service pack and wait until they get the lead out. Now it works just fine. Printer too.

Funny thing though, I had Windows 95 for the longest time, Everytime they upgraded, I stuck with what I had, and never had a problem with a virus, except once with the Klez worm, because hackers were all keying on the newest version.

Makes me wonder if I should just stay with what I have until it's time for a new computer again.

Yea I just installed sp2 and all my icons have been wrecked. Some have dissapeared and some have become fuzzy.

And it appears to have slowed down my internet connection.

Great one MS.

Well I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever using SP2 (I did install from fresh). If anything, it runs better than before.

Perhaps I'm lucky.

Yeah SP2 is not ready. When i installed it, everything as fine. then when i restarted it took forever to logon. Then when i finaly got loged on the computer seemed to hang every 5 minutes. Because of this i have needed to wipe my computer twice. This problem had me thinking my hard drives were bad

Now You guys are starting to get it! They are going to get rid of the hackers and make them a thing of the past if they can! I got it to...and I must say YES!!!! I had a couple of cracked programs on my computer. They dissapeared from my computer or everything in the folders were took out! Yes, I think it might have a bug your two. Trust me guys...when Longhorn comes out it will be a great build...awesome from what little I have seen and heard. I dont make it a point to run stolen programs...but that is what I experinced and some of my friends also. I figure by January they will have it fixed. The software companys are the ones losing money. I guess George Bush and Bill Gates made a deal. LONGHORN!!! Save Microsoft!!!

Also, Web sites too are coming up with different ways to log on to the sites. Your not seeing the old user and password log ons anymore! Come on...really...you can get what ever you want on the internet...Just about...if you want it! All these companys are tired of it. The hackers have taken XP and made available to everyone!!! This Bills personal baby!!! "and I quote!"

Laterz...

You know guys..... You all should be happy that you even got SP2.... Here is my problem, when i went to the microsoft website and downloaded SP2, i tried to run the installation, but as soon as it enters the installation, an error occurs as it says : you haven't accepted the agreement or something!, and they still didnt even give me a chance to do so!!

Please help me guys, my email adres is: yjkader@hotmail.com

I had problems with my SP2 update as well.

Every boot after I installed it, my computer would take 10 min to boot, instead of the usual 2. After it booted, my printer would also fail to work. IE (i dont use it, but my parents do) also had some major problems. Also, if i atempted to access my hard drive through the My Computer icon, explorer.exe (as in windows, not IE) would crash. I hadto make a shortcut to access my HDD. Eventually I just uninstalled it. I tried it again a few weeks later, but had the same problems. A friend of mine (who isnt very computer literate) also had similar problems on her laptop, although i dont know what exactly. She also uninstalled it.

I think i will wait by installing SP #2 after my uncle's computer totally screwed up by it. Im content with my Windows XP SP1a installation. My dad is using Windows 2000, and i think it's one of the most stable OSses microsoft created.

I hope you all can solve these problems.

Greetingz, Andicioz

I had SP-2 install problems on 2 computers however after reading the install tips on the MS update pages, all went well.

First, make sure you have scaned your drives with updated anti-virus,anti-spyware programs. Second, clean and defrag your drives. Next, install all updates, reboot, check your operating system. Now, your ready for SP-2. I have noticed a slow down on bootup but that is due to the new firewall, anti-virus checks provided by SP-2. Good Luck.....

Originally posted by radioman:

Quote:
I had SP-2 install problems on 2 computers however after reading the install tips on the MS update pages, all went well.

First, make sure you have scaned your drives with updated anti-virus,anti-spyware programs. Second, clean and defrag your drives. Next, install all updates, reboot, check your operating system. Now, your ready for SP-2. I have noticed a slow down on bootup but that is due to the new firewall, anti-virus checks provided by SP-2. Good Luck.....

Try defrag and bootvis to speed up bootup.

Originally posted by mdma132:

Quote:
I have let windows autoupdate itself to SP2 twice now, and get the same problem frown

BSOD just after 2 seconds of the WinXP bootup screen.

When I startup in safe mode and check out the event log, I'm seeing that everytime I try to load normally, it's failing to load : processor driver & fips driver. A very strange problem I think as I've installed it on a few machines in work and these seem fine (P4 +AMD xp)

My specs are here: http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/xtreme_2.htm

Has anyone else had problems like this?

And old question this, but the answer is SP2 conflicting with the AMD 64bit processor.. A fix is available from Mesh computers directly at their website..

Every single PC at work that users reported not working after SP2 install worked fine after I cleaned out the spyware/viruses and re-ran the SP2 installer.

Hello! I just joined this forum and I have a question and a comment to make. First off, after seeing all the problems associated with SP2, I think I will just wait until there is a newer version. Am I OK just using the SP1? I play internet [censored] extensively and I have heard about some new hacks where someone can put a trojan in my PC that shows my "hold cards"........I just can't have that happen.......I play for high stakes. I was told it was because I do not have SP2 installed. Any validity to that? Is there any real reason I should install SP2, or am I OK just using SP1 for now? Please keep in mind that I am not very good at fixing problems, I simply do not know enough about computers to do it. I am, however, somewhat knoweledgable about computers, but I consider myself a novice so I don't overload my plate and get into trouble. Even some of the fixes mentioned here in this thread is over my head, so please be gentle! BTW, my computer works very well as it is, and I have NEVER had a problem with my XP Pro so far. I was using Windows ME, and that was a total nightmare....BSOD all the time, crashed a lot, and had video feed problems as well. This XP Pro works flawlessly on my PC as it is. I have an Intel Pentium 4 1.4 gig processor with 382MB ECC RDRAM, nVidia FX5900 Ultra Video Card with 256MB ram, 21 inch Hitachi SuperScan Monitor, plenty of fans (9 total including 2 on the side with an exhaust fan as well, constantly runs at about 90 degrees F, and overclocks very well.

Oh yes, I Do have one tiny problem.....I switched my refresh rate to 100Hz, and everytime I reboot, my screen has about an inch of black on each side, and about a half inch (1/4 inch on top and bottom)too tall.........and I have to go and manually adjust the width and height to be correct. It is a slight pain to do. I understand that the PC still thinks it's at 60Hz for some reason, what do I do to make it correct itself? I used the nVidia refresh rate overide PLUS I changed the refresh rate in the designated box in the regular video card refresh rate box as well.

[Edited by RMORIALLI on 2005-01-28 13:23:37]

Originally posted by RMORIALLI:

Quote:

Oh yes, I Do have one tiny problem.....I switched my refresh rate to 100Hz, and everytime I reboot, my screen has about an inch of black on each side, and about a half inch (1/4 inch on top and bottom)too tall.........and I have to go and manually adjust the width and height to be correct. It is a slight pain to do. I understand that the PC still thinks it's at 60Hz for some reason, what do I do to make it correct itself? I used the nVidia refresh rate overide PLUS I changed the refresh rate in the designated box in the regular video card refresh rate box as well.

[Edited by RMORIALLI on 2005-01-28 13:23:37]

There is a free program called RefreshLock that will fix this for you.

I have had problems after SP2, but different ones... one is similar: the control panel likes to crash. Sometimes I can access it, sometimes it just craps out. The other problem is certain elements on web pages will not load, and some web sites I cannot get to AT ALL.

Links like:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/clic...e=3&subid=0

I can't access ANY part of:

http://www.metareward.com

Some odd things, elements on web pages don't load. Some banner ads, some dymamic content, and sometimes just random images, like the logo on Yahoo doesn't load:

yahoonologo.gif

Weird stuff. I was on with MS tech support several times. They had me do all sorts of things, including removing SP2, re-installing the OS and more. Ultimately, they told me I have to wipe the hard drive completely, which I just don't have the heart to do right now as I have had the computer for around 10 months or so and it feels like I just re-installed everything, especially after having done so many wipes on my previous Windows ME machine.

I have tried re-installing Java, Flash, etc. etc.

Anyone have ideas, or have heard of a similar problem? The same sites/elements don't load in Firefox either. My wife's laptop is still SP1 and it all works fine there (we share the same cable access).