Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

Need an SMTP server to send email

I use an pop3 email provider which differs from my ISPs, and they (my isp) has disabled relaying, so I cant send my email through their smtp server. WHen I ran Windows I had to use a personal SMTP server. Is there a similiar thing for Linux? And how easy would it be to set it up?

your ISP is wise to disable email relaying.

why don't you use the smtp service which the pop3 email provider should be

offering? pop3 for inbound, smtp for outbound ... with user authentication

in both cases.

that way the email you're sending out is actually from the place you're having

it say it is from.

I already have an email address which I have had for years, and I'm not going to stop using it cause my isp says, sorry, you cant use our smtp server to send your mail. So I need to set up my own smtp server. (which I had when I ran Windows.)

I don't understand why your email service provider (ESP) does not offer you both

incoming and outgoing mail service.

I've never encountered such a thing. Perhaps you might want to change your ESP?

I think you are missing the point, its a FREE ESP, which I have been using for years, its indendent of my isp so i can change isp at a whim, and people will still be able to get a hold of me.

I dont think it was installed by default, I didnt install any of the server options, but im sure it'll prompt me to install it if i try to run it. I just need to set up a personal smpt server for my own use. my ESP doesnt have a smtp server, you have to either use your ISP's smtp server or run your own. and since I cant use my ISP's smtp server....I'm back to running my own, but i dont know how to set one up in linux.

no, I'm pretty sure I'm not missing the point.

The 'free'-ness of your ESP isn't at issue here.

What is at issue is in this brave new SPF and 'Sender ID' world,

how is it this ESP intends to stay alive without offering its users

a complete mail service?

I'm very sorry, but at the moment, I'm quite reluctant to offer much help in this area

unless I feel assured the knowledge I might share won't be used to no good purpose.

I'll gladly explain my concerns, if you don't already apprehend the basis of my reluctance.

Sure express your concerns, I'm not out to send spam, I just want to make my machine able to send email again. Right now I have QK SMTP server set up on a Windows box, and its configured to allow the lan computers to send mail through it, but I dont want to have to have 2 computers just to send email.

Heres the link to my email provider, I've been using www.mail.mu or http://eng.mail.mu (if your russian isnt that great) for my email since 99. I'm a student of russian, and it was nice to have a russian email provider.