Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

smb

when i try to mount a shared folder in windows xp using samba

no error would occur but when i open the mounted share and try to type ls i get some message in my command prompt saying:

ls.:Stale NFS file handle.

for initial testing, how about instead of mounting the WinXP share try using

"smbclient" instead?

can you issue a 'dir' command from smbclient to see the contents

of your WinXP share?

There area few ways to do it, depending on the distro that you are using. One is to try LinNeighborhood, the other is to make a link via your browser using smb, or as martouf suggested trying smbclient.

Which distro ar you using?

wow first time i might be able to help someone with linux. hahaha

well first thing is... This will only work for linux redhat7.2 and up and pink tie linux 9.0 which is linux red hat. Now I do it by useing the smb and i can share from red hat to windows. Now here are the commands that I put into linux since as I understand it and have seen to work is that windows has smb all ready installed so you need not configure anything on it..

get to a shell or a termiinal and type the following....

chkconfig --level 5 smb on

then...

service smb start

now that should start your smb service. since im still newb and dont quite understand how to make my own config file I just use the sample one to while in terminal or shell I prefer shell to get there ctrl+alt+f1 or f2 f3 all the way though f6. f7 will talk you back to the window. now enter this into the command line

use the vi editor

vi /etc/samba/smb.conf

and go to the bottom of the file and you will see [myshare]

now just copy that exaple giving your own names of users of course. Now you make the users in linux and the same users in windows.. Then you must also use this command to add users to the

smb service k..... The command is smbpasswd -a [username] now the default workgroup for linux is Mygroup so you could change it useing the same file or you could change your windows workgroup to MYGROUP and everything should be fine.. O and if you want to see the network goto start here and type smb:/ and that should get you there. If anyone else knows another way or can also tell me how to make my own config file for smb please post. And for those who answerd my other post I got my sound working and my video working also ^^:; thanks to all who helped..

I will post on my oringal post how and what I did as it might help someone or someone may knew another way that is [censored]ier ^^

Hope this helps you

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
There area few ways to do it, depending on the distro that you are using. One is to try LinNeighborhood......

Which distro ar you using?

I agree with that thought. I've used LinNeighborhood on a number of different Distros, and, since it has few dependencies, it nearly always works even when the Distros included one doesn't.

ulikeit: yeah, your instructions would be great if jarves wanted to share

from Linux to WinXP. But what jarves was asking about is sharing from WinXP to Linux. :x

tnx everyone!

i think i understand what ot do now.

i have another qusetion!! Why is it that when i try this one:

smb:///

get an error, or whenever i dont get error and i try to go deeper in to the shared folder i am always prompted to login.

when i mounted the share and explore deeper into the share using the console i am not asked to supply a username and password.

oh, and by the way i already mounted the share folder in xp and i can already explore on it but when i try the smb:/// i get an error

also my winxp can already see the samba server i put up but my problem is when accessing the samba server. i get an error saying that access is denied, it says that i dont have the permission to access it, but also sometimes an error says that network not find whenever i double click on it.

when i try to issue the comand net view the samba server can also be seen...

could you help clear things out???

I never had a need to mount the samba shares from XP smile

Maybe you ca help me out!

Anyway, most distros are set up to view XP shares.

Just for kicks, this is how I view my XP shares.

Make a desktop icon. Go to the desktop, right click and pick Create new -->file-->link to location.

Under file name, pick any name you wish.

Under Enter link to location: type in smb:/

Click OK.

You now have a desktop icon that will show your XP workgroup when clicked on. Click the workgroup and your machine name appears. Click on the machine name and the XP shares come up.

To view your shares, click on the share drive that you want without the $ symbol after it.

when i tried the start here and typed smb:/ i get error, but when i go to the console mode i get no errors and i can browse through my windows share through and throught!! no problems. the problem with gui is that everytime i access a shared folder deep down to the lst directory i am always asked for an authenticaation. and sometimes you just get disconected for no reason at all.