Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

Does SP2 make XP chugg?

I've only had SP2 for a day but I get feeling from the four systems I've loaded it on that they seem to respond slower when launching apps or just browsing around. Is it my imagination or is SP2 an XP chugger?

I have no use of the improved firewall service and I think that the Windows Update Software updater isn't all it's cracked up to be so I've turned both of them off. Haven't tested the supposedly improved WiFi but the Bluetooth seems the same.

Can anyone tell me what the hell MS did in SP2 to chugg my systems?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on improving performance with SP2 installed keeping in mind I've turned off a lot of default services already as I either don't use them or find them to be a security risk.

Thanks in advance

Hmmm, I was wondering if software DEP slow's things down? Anyone care to do benchmarks. I guess I could fire up vmware with DEP ON/OFF and benchmark but I am unsure of Vmware would provide a releastic desktop benchmark result.

Hmmm I did the SP install on 2 of my machines and it seemed to have increased speed and load times...

I have slipstreamed SP2 on one box, and have installed it on a few others. The slipstreamed one seems to run faster and more smoothly than the others did (and it's a slower systems than the others were). Still working on this.

@cybergenx

You wrote that it increased speed and load times. Did you load times actually increase, or did the load performance increase and therefore decrease your load times?

my personal experience i won't even touch xp service pack 2 after i had to reinstall windows twice cause of it. nevermind the fact that my system seemed to slow down quite abit especially in games and on shut down. i'm stickin with service pack 1 till microsoft can get all the bugs out of it.

If you close all your processes before the installation you will get a fully functional sp2 installation...but i wonder....

1) Why after every restart WinXP Firewall is always on even though i have turned off.

2)Why did they add a pop up blocker in IE? Who uses it nowdays...

3) Why does my fruityloops 3.56 version doesn't work anymore!!!

Morning all.

Sorry, I forgot to respond.

Clutch was right (at least in my case). I did a reinstallation this past Friday of WinXP w/SP2 slipstreamed along with loading all my apps (4 hours straight). Anyways my systems seem to be a lot faster now.

It has to do with something about SP2 not liking certain processes occurring during installation. So your best option is to just make an integrated slipstream cd of SP2, bite the bullet and reinstall clean.

Thanks Clutch.

Anyone have any input on Windows Activation?

As in, there is the method to keep your Actyivation files when you reinstall, and not have to re-ativate. If I backup those files, then install a slipstreamed SP2 in place, will the same WAP files work, or throw a problem, forcing me to reactivate?

Any help on the situation is helpful.

-bZj

LOL!!!

Sorry Jerry Atrik.

My bad. You were the first one to mention the slipstream in my thread.

Sorry Clutch, I'm gonna have to take back the props I gave to you and properly bestow it unto Jerry Atrik.

PROPS to ya Jerry Atrik!!!

LOL!

Thanks again guys to ya all.

lol

no worries... clutch is da man

installed a slipstreamed sp2 on all the dual xeon engineering workstations (4).

calc's actually come out faster by 30 or 40 seconds per 5 min.

and we all love the popup blocker

Originally posted by sybex:

Quote:
2)Why did they add a pop up blocker in IE? Who uses it nowdays...

Well, in the healthcare industry, there's a pretty common piece of software made by GE that (for better or worse...) will only launch under the context of IE.

It's the only reason why I can't deploy either some Linux workstations or at least Mozilla/Firefox to the Windows Desktops.

Frustrating, yes; but realistic of real-world scenarios.

BTW, I am a Firefox user at work and home since version 0.4 (Phoenix, Firebird, now Firefox).

Cheers.

Well I noticed the slow down too... Here's what I did and it works here just fine on 4 dirrerent systems...

Goto your windows folder then to the prefetch folder, then delete everything so that windows can rebuild the prefetch from scratch.

Next, I display my hidden files in the windows folder, and delete the SP2 uninstall folder. Next I defreg, and use a windows tweaking tool to remove the uninstall SP2 option in the Add/Remove programs apelet in the control panel. After this, and twekaing the security settings a bit, I personall found SP2 to be faster, and avoided the clean install route.

Of corse, if your system was pretty ragged out with old bits/bytes from days gone bye, then a clean install will always pep your system up sp2 or not...