Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rmreza

Can't Install Half Life 1.0

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 , i can't install Half Life to my pc, there was an error mesage came out.When i click setup icon,it says " 16 Bit Windows Subsystem : C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for runnung MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application" . What must i do with it.

I also have Half-Life, and i am running Windows XP SP1 (home).

SP2 is new, maybe Half-Life is not supported yet.

So the problem comes while installing?

Try running the installer in compatibility modus.

Do this by right-click on the installation file, and click on properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, check compatibility, select Windows 98 or so. Try it.

Andicioz,

I ahev same problem. SP2 just installed evrything fine, then bam cant install HL or a couple of apps that I used to use. Ran them in every compatability mode available but nada. Anyone know a real work around for this or am I stuck waiting for MS to fix thier fix?

greetings btw.

Okay, i downloaded steam, but where do i get to the area to install half life? i cant find any place to put my half life cd key, or install half life for that matter, through steam that is....i come up with the same error on the 16 bit windows subsystem, and i could use some help with this.

thanks.

Start STEAM then go to BROWSE GAMES in the PLAY GAMES window of STEAM. Then on the bottom of the new window that pops up, go to REGISTER A PRODUCT I ALREADY OWN

Hope that helps.

I have no service pack version of windows xp...I can install it but when I want to play single player it says...please insert cd...

Insert CD1. This is a legit copy of HL, right?

If it isn't, find your own way to rip them off, google the w4re5 sites, maybe grab yourself a virus and some pr0n while you're at it. laugh

Half Life 1 will work on XP SP2 unmodified (I know because i have run it).

If you still get an error about autoexec.nt, then its probably

missing, copy autoexec.nt from c:\Windows\Repair to c:\Windows\System32 and it should work again!

• Like 1

If you've installed HL using steam (and therefore a legit CD key) you don't need the CD in the drive.

Are you attempting to launch HL from the start menu or through steam? The start menu one would be from an CD installation.

If you're using a legit steam install, launch from "my games" in steam. You'll know the difference between the interfaces.