Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brodee

DVD sound but no video with xine

hi, I have xine installed and I am able to play divxs mpgs and wmvs fine and I can play mp3s on xmms

but when I put a legal dvd in my drive it plays only the sound and I am able to click on the areas where menu items are but the video screen is just black. the video screen even changes dimensions when appropriate.

oh ya, it plays the sound but it sounds scratchy.

I tried installing a52dec from some thread I can't remember where and that made the same thing happen to divxs so I uninstalled that.

does anybody know what I need does it have something to do with css?

thanks

Need to know which distro you're using. smile That goes a long way in helping to get Xine going for you.

reporting your CPU (type, speed), video display, and audio hardware would help

the helpers help you, too.

sorry, I have fedora core 2, I have a7vnx-x motherboard with onboard sound the dvd drive is sony

Hi brodee, check this thread on how to install apt on Fedora Core 2. Once installed, use apt to install Xine, which will take care of the dependency issues you may be having. I installed Xine using the Fresh RPMS repositories and it ran perfectly for me. Good Luck. smile

I installed it with synaptic which I think is a gui for apt, and xine works great for divxs,mpgs and wmvs but dvds I can only get sound.

I read somewhere that its a copyright problem to distribute dvd decrypting software open source so it doesn't come with xine you need some compiled library or something to use it.

Check your synaptic packages and see if libdvdcss is installed or even if it appears. If not, go here, download and install and see if it fixes the problem.

yep, I double checked libdvdcss and they are installed and they are

do I need to recompile xine or somehow tell it that I have the dvd libraries installed?

xine is pretty good about reporting every component it finds as it initializes,

and installing the libdvdcss RPM should have rebuilt the linker cache.

you can check xine by asking it to say more about what it's doing as it initializes

by starting it from a shell with the --verbose parameter, viz: "xine --verbose"

you can check the linker cache by looking through the output of "/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep dvd"

to be certain libdvdcss is among the libraries listed.

I'd like to know what the video and sound hardware is on your Asus motherboard.

well, it looks like it should work right?

/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep dvd

got this:

libdvdread.so.3 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libdvdread.so.3

libdvdplay.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libdvdplay.so.0

libdvdnav.so.4 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libdvdnav.so.4

libdvdcss.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2

xine --verbose | grep dvd

load_plugins: plugin

got this:

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/xineplug_inp_dvd.so found

my video card is a 9700ati agp allinwonderpro

this is what I got for my sound card:

ADI 1980 6-channel CODEC

S/PDIF out interface

brodee, I would also go into synaptic, and install every package that begins with "libdvd." There's libdvdread, libdvdread-devel, libdvdplay, libdvdplay-devel. libdvdnav, etc. When I installed Xine in Red Hat 9, I seem to remember having to install many of these other packages.

DDan: if you mean by 'install' that you compiled Xine from sources, then yes,

you'd need to have the "-devel" packages installed. If you're using a precompiled Xine,

I don't think there's a packaging error that would cause you to need them.

brodee: looks like the software you need is present and accounted for..

I'm thinking the problem is related to xv/fb issues. That is, the video images

are getting written to video RAM alright, but not the part of RAM which

is mapped to the area inside the Xine video window.

What happens when you tell Xine to favor simplicity over performance?

try: "xine --verbose=2 --video-driver xshm"

The possible xine video driver choices are: xv syncfb fb xshm none

brodee, can you install mplayer or ogle with apt and see if they will work with that legal DVD?

haha, we were thinking the same thing, I didn't really want to install mplayer because I read somewhere it doesn't get along well with fedora. anyway I start mplayer say play dvd and.....

it closes. I guess it crashed or something, it doesn't give me any crash notifier kde thing.

brodee, if Xine, mplayer or any video player is that important to you, have you considered dropping back to Core 1? Xine and mplayer both work perfectly for me under Core 1.

I could try that is it easy?, or I could try a different distro, I only started using linux july 17th. I heard suse is good.

I play dvds once in a while so I go to windows, but I kinda want to get rid of it for good so I need things like dvd playing to work before I erase my windows partition.

thanks for all your help.

I once had issues running mplayer on my laptop that were somewhat similar to yours with Xine. Take a look at this. Scroll down and read "Playback of various stream types." I hope this helps.

Fedora Core 1 is simple to install, and with the updates is very stable, should you decide to try it.

Hi there,

I had the same problem and took a clue from another Linux user. Try changing the video settings from "AUTO" to "XSHM" under your setup. Works for me!!!