Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ofelas

SP2 adds a line in the "boot.ini" file

The last line reads -

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Anyone know what the /NoExecute=OptIn does?

Thanks in advance folks...

DEP software is already included with WinXP SP2. You can find the options in System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Setting/Options -> Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

Maybe this is what makes XP2 so slow when executing apps etc? I've just started investigating the new features in SP2...

I guess the "/NoExecute=OptIn" option enables software DEP. Have someone tried switching it off? Maybe I'll try that later and see if it solves my slow app executing...

/Cthugha

O.k. pls be so kind to check this out:

/EXECUTE

This optionIt disables no-execute protection. See the /NOEXECUTE switch for more information.

/NOEXECUTE

This option is only available on 32-bit versions of Windows when running on AMD64 processors and only when PAE (see the /PAE switch) is also enabled. It enables no-execute protection, which results in the Memory Manager marking pages containing data as no-execute so that they cannot be executed as code. This can be useful for preventing malicious code from exploiting buffer overflow bugs with unexpected program input in order to execute arbitrary code. No-execute protection is always enabled on 64-bit versions of Windows on AMD64 processors.

Hope this helps !

Greetings from germany!