Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fumanchu

Startup profiles

I was wondering if there is a way in Windows XP SP1 to make startup profiles.

For example, say I wanted the best performance in Doom 3, so I'd have a "Gaming" profile that would just have basic services, so I would have more free RAM, and then I'd have another profile "Normal" that would load all of my normal services.

Is this possible?

Hi There-You should be able to do this by creating a new seperate hardware profile. Go to Start=settings=System then click on the Hardware Tab. At the bottom there is a Hardware profiles tab. Click on that and create a new hardware profile by highlighting the current profile and then click the copy button. Once you have renamed the new profile, highlight the new one and click the properties button. Check the hardware profiles selection box. Close the window then restart your pc. Upon restarting, you will get a start window that will show 2 profile options. Select the new one. Once you are logged in to your new Hardware profile, make all the tweaks to your system. Restart your computer one more time & you should be ready to go.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think hardware profiles affect services. I'm thinking about just dual booting 2k and XP, 2k being totally bare bones, so I have plenty of free resources.

Hi all, I'm new here....

To change services for profiles, Computer Management - Services and Applications - Services - double-click a service - Log On tab - you can enable/disable from here once you have created your profile(s).

Andy.