Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
voltmer

Mandrake 10 Hangs Durring Boot

Mandrake 10 Hangs Durring Boot. Durring boot it keeps trying to disable IRQ #11 just before it runs some part of the software intill it fianally gets to "localhost mylogin: login:" Disabling IRQ #11 and then it is stuck in a rut trying to disable the IRQ. I really like Mandrake, but may have to try something else. Thanks!

what is attached to irq11? can you disable it in the bios? What are your hardware specs? Did this same hardware run another OS without any problems?

Nothing is on IRQ 11 and if I disable it in the BIOS it tries using a different open IRQ, but it will hang on that one as well. And yes, it runs windows on this system allready.

My system:

P4 3.3 Ghz

1 Gig of 3200 DDR

Radeon x800 Pro

1-160GB HD

1-200GB HD

1-60GB RAID HD

gidday voltmer,

from the details you posted here not much can be said about the true reason for this problem. Though there are some things that could maybe help in hunting down the reasons for your probs:

a) APIC settings

From what I gather, MDK seems to be unhappy with the interrupt assigment (obviously you don't even get a proper device-listing), so my first address would be the "APIC" settings (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller). You could use the MDK "installation"-proggie to check what parameters are passed to the kernel in your configuration. To do so, switch into "Advanced" mode while you are presented the "Boot parameters"-dialog (I apologize that I cannot provide the exact label-names as I get everything in German here).

Alternatively (if you have access to the *X-filesystem, maybe by booting with an emergency CD like Knoppix) you could check "/etc/lilo.conf" to see if anything apic-related is appended to the kernel-parameters (entries as these could be of interest: "noapic" or "apic=ht"). Whatever you find, toggle or remove it temporarily and check the results.

B) LAPIC settings

Also the LAPIC-settings could be the cause for your struggles (Local Adv.Progr.Interr.Ctrl.). Check what your current LAPIC setting is (in the same line in lilo.conf as the APIC-parameter). If there isn't then I would suggest to append the "nolapic" parameter.

I admit right away that the things get a bit vague from this point on, nevertheless it could be worth a try if anything else fails.

c) BIOS settings

Check if you have a setting in the BIOS labled "PNP OS". If so toggle it and give it a try. Upon failure, go back and search your BIOS for "PCI/IRQ" settings. If there is such a section try to assign the IRQs manually.

Also have a look if you can maybe specifiy IRQs for the onboard devices (dunno what's onboard on your mobo; but I would guess at least the NIC, sound- and maybe the RAID ctrl. are).

If your NIC or sound-card e.g are onboard you might want to give it a try with those devices disabled in the BIOS, just to see if maybe some IRQ daisy-chaining/-sharing fails. We occasionally have such issues here when onboard NICs and sound-chips collide with GFX-cards and/or RAID ctrls. that are assigned the same IRQs. Twiddling with the BIOS-IRQ-settings usually solves those issues (if the onboard components aren't replaced by standardized hardware anyway).

Well, maybe you find something to at least check out in the above. Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried to boot from a Knoppix CD with no luck, it hangs during boot. and I have tried other distros as well and they all get hung up. Fedora C1 hangs with the line "hda: ide-driver attached to hda" or somthing like that. Fedora C2 automatically reboots after you hit "enter" on the install screen. I wonder if it is motherboard related? I am using a Asus P4P800E-Deluxe and have PAP os disabled so it should be assigning the IRQS correctly, but I did notice that both my HDs are using the IRQ that it keeps wanting to disable. I have disabled it in the BIOS, but it just picks IRQ5 and has the same problem. I am getting frustrated.

Wich drive is Mandrake installed on?

You mentioned a third hard drive - 60 gig. Is this attached to a raid connector (the third ide connector on the board)? If so, is it being used as an ide drive or true raid device?

If you want to experiment, disconnect the third drive (if it is on the 3rd ide connector on the motherboard) and see if Knoppix or any other distro boots.

Or, in the bios, disable raid detection then see if Knoppix or Mandrake boots. Assuming, or course that Mandrake is installed on hard drive 1 or 2.

gidday again, voltmer

it looks as if the "google-izer" would brandmark your mobo as a "not so suitable peice of hardware for linux". Bad news on one side, I admit, but then again, there is some hope here ...

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installreboot

hope this sheds some light, at least as it goes for Fedora

good luck

I just read a whole anti-Asus pro-Linux thing about a week ago. anyway Hope this can help you.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=121819

comment 122 of theis thread reads....

Quote:

For a test, can anyone with a board try the boot.iso replacement from

http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/asusp4p800-boot.iso

it doesn't have a fix just a workaround, but I hope it'll boot/install

already.