Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

Doom III: How's it treating you?

Originally posted by thatsteveguy:

Quote:
Originally posted by jinnxx3:

Quote:
Plus for those of you who are interested in knowing how many FPS you are getting in DOOM and your other games, you can download FRAPS from www.fraps.com. It is a really tiny app that displays your FPS while you play your games as a tiny number at the top right hand corner of your screen.

You can configure it to display the realtime fps or an average of your frames per second, where you want it to display, the colour, the opacity, and so forth. You start FRAPS before you start the game you are going to run.

Instead of installing a another program to get your FPS just open the console and type con_showfps 1 and change the 1 to a 0 if you want to take it off.

to open the console just press ctr shift ~

that to me is much better then installing a program when the one you are running is quite capable of displaying that info.

S

True steveguy...This tiny app (640k soaking wet) can be used to get your FPS in any of your games, not just DOOM. Not everyone has the technical savy or guts to alter their program code.

Originally posted by clutch:

Quote:
Also, the xbox runs at a lower resolution to suit the TV. Since it is using much less bandwidth to push the image, it can sustain the higher framerate. It's also much easier to make a game for a console since it isn't a "moving target", whereas the PC has different chipset, CPU, RAM, and GPU combinations that directly affect performance of a game.

However, can you *really* play this game without a keyboard and mouse? wink

Yes, using the same way you would play Halo or any other FPS on the XBox. (left thumbstick = walk+strafe; right thumbstick = look around; right trigger = fire). I also have Counterstrike for the XBox and sort of got the hang of it (the enemy AI is kinda tough though).

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx-Imawano:
Quote:
Well I'll have to go with the CPU first since I'm tight on budget - a GeForce card above FX 5600 costs well over $200 around my locality (and that's also the minimum price of a Pentium4C CPU).

I understand that, & can see your viewpoint & agree with it when taken in terms of finances... go with that which is economical to purchase for you, FIRST... & then do higher end stuff like vidcard later when & if its price drops (which it will eventually).

I think it'd depend on what he wants as well as can afford, which is why I suggested CPU purchases first!

(I suggested a CPU upgrade because I figure it'd be cheaper to get a newer/faster CPU than state-of-the-art video card like an X800 ATI Radeon OR GeForce 68xx series GT board, etc.)

However, I read the NVidia vs. ATI review on play they had on a site from the main page here:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1634115,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

* It'd appear that video cards are going to get you the "MOST bang for the buck" as far as this game's performance...

(Tough call, "$" vs. performance gains: Cost of a CPU upgrade/update for him is probably most cost effective, as far as actually boosting Doom III game performance I would say if money's tight... BUT, if money's not tight? Then it's pointing to vidcard upgrade/update from the review above as to what 'maxes-out' this game's performance levels! CPU 3.0ghz = approximately $150 vs. NVidia X800XT or GeForce 6800 series GT = = $500++ ??)

APK

Yeah I'm afraid so. Also, I want a Vidcard with VIVO support because I want to do video captures (my current video card is the Inno3D GeForce FX 5600 VIVO), and those tend to be pricey compared to the non-VIVO versions. In fact so far in my locality I've only found 1 VIVO equipped GeForce card higher than a FX 5600 - an ASUS GeForce FX 5950 VIVO, and it costs a whopping $600!

Howdy. I've got a P4 2.8 with HT, 64 MB ATI Mobility 9700 (laptop). I have a HUGE problem... during the game, whether a video sequence or just in the game, it will freeze. No ctrl-alt-del or the windows key or anything will get me out of it. And the really strange thing is that the audio will continue, like if I'm listening to something off the PDA. but all video and mouse stuff will be frozen. The only way out is to hold the power button and turn off the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? By the way, I have it on the lowest settings, with some of the special features turned off too. Thanks.

Hmm, I am unsure if Doom 3 has HT problems or not. Try disabling HT. Also...what ver drivers are you using?

In reference to the original poster about processor speed and Doom 3. I just downlocked my XP 2800 (2.2ghz) to 1300mhz.

1024X768=32fps (32 fps with 9700 @ 2.2ghz)

1600X1200=32fps. (14fps with 9700 @ 2.2ghz)

Still "playable" even at 1.3ghz with an X800. So I have no doubt that an X800, 6800 paired with a 2ghz P4 would be just fine. The main factor in Doom 3 is video card speed NOT processor speed.

Of course AVG timedemo's do not properly reflect minimum FPS but considering that these scores are equal to my 1024X768 scores with my 9700 and I was playing Doom 3 just fine too.

Quote:
Originally posted by thatsteveguy:

Quote:

Quote:
Plus for those of you who are interested in knowing how many FPS you are getting in DOOM and your other games, you can download FRAPS from www.fraps.com. It is a really tiny app that displays your FPS while you play your games as a tiny number at the top right hand corner of your screen.

You can configure it to display the realtime fps or an average of your frames per second, where you want it to display, the colour, the opacity, and so forth. You start FRAPS before you start the game you are going to run.

Instead of installing a another program to get your FPS just open the console and type con_showfps 1 and change the 1 to a 0 if you want to take it off.

to open the console just press ctr shift ~

that to me is much better then installing a program when the one you are running is quite capable of displaying that info.

S

True steveguy...This tiny app (640k soaking wet) can be used to get your FPS in any of your games, not just DOOM. Not everyone has the technical savy or guts to alter their program code.

that is true but all games are capable of displaying FPS in game with console commands and a console command does not alter program code. I like my systems lean and running apps to get info you can allready get in game still means having something run in the background that you just don't need.

S

Hey Alec, sorry it didn't work out for you. All I did was extract that file interaction.vfp to Doom3\base\glprogs. Then I executed Doom3. My ATI driver version is still only at Catalyst 4.7. I am waiting on official drivers rather than use Beta right now. 4.8 is due out early next week. In the ATI control panel I have AA/AF set to Application Preference, apparently Doom3 runs slower with AA enabled via the ATI control panel. I only noticed less chugging but definitely a lot smoother than it was before. My card is only a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB. Running the game at 1024x768, HQ, 2xAA.

I don't know what else to say, but I am glad it didn't mess your installation or PC.

I am very happy with my performance

I am getting between 35 and 40 FPS

At 1024 x 768 On Ultra Quality

16x AF 2x AA

Using the 4.9 OpenGL driver

Humas ATI Tweak

and cutom autoexec.cfg

I downloaded and installed the 4.8's. They are good and my gameplay is noticeably better. I will try out the cap removal too.

I'll play the demo once it's out, but I'm not paying $50 for the game. Think I'll wait until it's about a third of that price.

For those that have finished Doom3 and wish to crap there pants some more, System Shock 2 was ranked the Scarriest PC Game Ever Made (pre-doom3 that is, although I'm not so conviced D3 will be scarrier).

The hardest part is finding a copy. Best bet is Ebay or a bargain bin that's been frequented by people who don't realize how good a game SS2 is. If you get a copy, the install may require a "-LGNTFORCE" switch to force the install. The game will need the patch, and to make the enemies look a lot better, try the Rebirth Mod.

So why am I plugging a 5 year old game? Because it's that good. Even before the rebirth mod. It's a classic, one of the best games ever made, and sadly many gamers know little about it, let alone have played it. It was re-released once by EA, although now the rights to it are divided so another rerelease or (sadly) a sequel are unlikely.

Oh, and don't blame the mod creator for not up[censored] his site in over a year. He got hired on to do Arx Fatalis 2 using the Half-Life 2 engine, so he's a little busy.

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
You know, I have heard that SO much online! I never played System Shock I or II... & always wanted to!

I was thrilled when a friend of mine found SS. I had to do some looking around at VOGONS to get it to work. Then I was disapointed when I found out there was no mouselook option. Nor were the keys even custom bindable. I just couldn't overcome the awkwardness of such an old style interface, so it was a pain to move around and such. This took me "out of the game" as did the 2d enemy graphics. Had I played this game back in the day, I'm sure I would have loved it, as I wouldn't have known the mouselook option, or better graphics.

And although I could've played the game to get the backstory on SHODAN, I wouldn't have enjoyed the experience so much, and that's what it's all about. So I only recommend SS2. (unless you have a heart problem, serously--there should be a warning on the box, this game can REALLY startle/scare you, and it can do so repeatedly. I can count on 1 hand the times all other games have really startled me (once in Doom, once in RtCW and probably 2 or 3 other times), but SS2 has startled me more times than I can remember.)

I haven't ordered anything on Ebay, so I can't really recommend getting it there, but man it's just to good of a game not to play.

Hey all,

My PC Runs Doom III the best at Medium Quality -> 1028x768

My System:

Intel Pentium IV Processor with 3.0 GHz.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1

200 GB HardDrive

512 MB RAM

ATi Radeon 9800 XXL 128 MB Video

~ I Like the game very... ~

I have tried to run into Ultra High, but i already thought that that wouldent work because i dont have 512 MB Ram free when my system is running.

Greetz,

Andicioz

Looking pretty good for me at 640x480 medium quality with 2xQ FSAA and 2x AF, though barely playable at 13-14 fps.

Hardware:

Intel D875PBZ

2.6C P4

512MB ECC DDR3200 ram

80GB mirrored Seagate SATA HD's

GeForce4 MX440 8x AGP 128MB w/passive cooling(clocked at 318/530)

Software:

Windows XP Pro

61.77 NVidia graphics driver

Doom 3 w/1.05 beta patch