Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1968neil

Fresh install with new hard drive hangs !

Hi,

Im at my whits end and could use some help.

I have recently upgraded my 10gb HDD to a 40GB HDD and it hangs at boot up on the XP pro screen.

The 10gb disc works ok, I have an older machine with the same 40GB HDD and putting into my machine it works fine, although XP was installed on the other machine and not whilst fitted to mine.

The spec of the machine is as follows.

1ghz Processor

512mb Ram, Soundblaster Live Platinum, Voodoo 3fx etc etc

As i say all of the devices work fine using the 10GB disc, i could simply use the extra space.

I have also tried an 80GB disc with the same results. All new discs are "Brand New" from the box. No S/H parts used.

I must be missing something vital but cant see it.

Please someone restore my sanity !!

Email me direct if its easier !

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Ok, first thing, it looks like you started two topics about that. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but you should probably try deleting the other one.

Now, to get this straight:

You have a 1ghz machine that was running winxp on a 10gig harddrive. You then took out the 10gig, put a 40gig in it's place, then tried a fresh install of winxp on the 40 gig. You got no errors, but now when you boot it won't boot?

I have loaded XP, it gets to the start screen then hangs.

I tried another 40GB disc that has XP already on it from another machine and it works fine. This disc is identical to the one im having problems with.

Cheers

Neil