Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kane4009

windows xp dhcp problems

hi, im sure many of you have seen this problem a few times now but its new to me. I have 2 computers on a lan in my room, both run xp home but on has decided to not recive a ip address from the router (or from the dsl modem itself) it gives me an ip number of 169.254.214.187, ive tryed a new card, new cable, new driver, tested out both router and modem both work fine. Ive looked throught these forums for fixes but none wish to work for me heck ive even reinstalled win xp 2 times and still nothing. Is there and way at all to fix this, cause even try to manually set in the setting and still nothing. i thank you all for you time.

Signed,

Joseph Perez

Need more information.

What's the name of the router,?

What's the name of the modem...

LAN or WLAN (wirelesslan)?

Ah, and do not manually set your ip, it could cause trouble.

And what should the ip supposed to be ?

Im not a 'Expert' but i could help.

Andicioz

the router is a netgear mr814v2 modem is a netopia (dsl modem)

the cpu specs are win xp home, amd 2400+, 1 gig pc2700 ram. now the ip is supposed to be a 192.168.0.x and its on a lan. all began when my cpu restarted on its own and its never been able to connect since. thanks for you help.

Signed,

Joseph Perez

First things first, check under network connections that under TCP/IP properties, the radio button marked "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected. If it isn't make sure it is.

Open a command prompt, and type [font:courier]ipconfig[/font]

What information do you see?

Type [font:courier]ipconfig /renew[/font]

then type [font:courier]ipconfig[/font] again.

Again, what information do you see.

Bear in mind, that if you set a manual IP address, the subnet has to match that of the router to work.

Have you also tried restarting the router?

Just a couple of things to try first off. We *can* get to the bottom of this!

Rgds

AndyF

obtain an ip is checked, reads that crazy ip number and it wont release it, and when i try to renew it says there was an error getting th ip address. the router is fine, cause the cpu im on works fine through it.

Signed,

Joseph Perez

Do you know the DHCP range and mask of the router?

If so, set a suitable IP address and net mask in TCP/IP properties.

If you don't, go to the other PC, type [font:courier]ipconfig[/font] to find out.

Once you've done this, can you ping the router? Can you ping the other PC?

Some other things to investigate: have you looked through the event log to see if there's anything in there to indicate why the PC reset without warning? Have you checked for malware/spyware/viruses?

Keep on tryin' smile

AndyF

I have the exact same problem with almost the same hardware listed. Mine suddenly quit working about the same time as the USB ports on the back of my computer quit. I gave up trying to fix it and decided to reinstall XP. FDISKed and wiped the disk clean to do a fresh install. Everything worked (USB and Ethernet) until I installed the video drivers (MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4200), then USB died. Then I installed the sound card (Audigy 2 ZS) drivers and the Ethernet died. I suspected the NEC USB driver on the motherboard was bad and bought a new motherboard and started over. This board has yet to have functioning Ethernet. I have reinstalled XP 3 times on this motherboard and tried 2 Ethernet cards plust the onboard LAN. I have upgraded the software in my router (Netgear WGR 614) and tried another Linksys router to no avail. I am at my wits end, I cannot figure out what would be causing this. I know the NIC is transmitting because the lights flash and I have intalled a packet sniffer on this computer and can see it transmit. I read something on the Microsoft site about wireless computers transmitting a UNICAST packet and having similar problems but it was supposed to be fixed with a newer version of dhcpcsvc.dll that I have and I am not wireless anyway. Any ideas would be appreciated. I really cannot understand how this worked just a little while ago and now it is completely hosed.

I also have a simular problem.

Since a power outage a few weeks ago, I can't get an IP from my ISP DHPC server anymore. I've tried everything, but without success so far. I don't have a router, just my NIC directly connected to the cable modem. And when I insert this same NIC in my old PC (Win 98) it is working!!

On my new PC (Win XP home) I also noticed that the arp table is empty. No Firewall active.

Any idea's?

Well, my Ethernet magically started working last night. I had a problem and had to come up in safe mode. I did nothing in safe mode, just rebooted and the ethernet worked. I have no idea why that made it work but you may want to give it a try. I have since gone back to the onboard LAN and it is working fine. I love microsoft stability.

I spoke too soon. As soon as any kind of video card driver is installed the network quits. I have tried it with an nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200, ATI Rage MAXX, and a Diamond Stealth III. The last two automatically used the windows drivers. Why would the video card clobber the network? The card says it is still working properly and there are no conflicts.

I had a virtually identical problem and went to extreme lengths to get it resolved. Nothing worked. Until Microsoft gave me the solution. Worked for me, it's easy to do and it may work for others as well. As simple and silly as it sounds, the solution that worked for me was to unplug everything, wait a few minutes and plug everything back in. Unplug the computer, router, cable or DSL modem - everything. Do not simple use the ON/OFF switch. You must remove the plugs from the wall sockets. Good luck.

another with the same problem:

I have 5 computers on my network and the router and DHCP work fine. Even on this computer, DHCP was working until last week.

The DHCP doesn't work, so it uses the APIPA (169.254.x.y) address, which of course won't go through the router, so even the homepage hijacker died; so i removed it, and all the other cruft, even ran the above mentioned softpedia Winsock fix; still DHCP won't work. (i'm using the Alternate Configuration with fixed/assigned IP address to talk to the router to send this.)

DHCP is enabled on the devices (i have wifi and wired, neither can find the DHCP server) I'll try a sniffer next; but if anyone has more clues, please post!

THE SAMe THING HAPPENED TO ME. THE PROBLEM FOR ME WAS MICROSOFT I DID A FRESH INSTALL OF XP. RAN WINDOWS UPDATE IT KILLED THE INTERNET SO I UNINSTALLED WHATEVER UPDATES I COULD AND MY INTERNET WORKED AGAIN SO TRY THAT IT SHOULD WORK.

Hay all.

As i see this problem daily in my job, i would say to you that the DHCP (USUALLY ON WINDOWS) is having problems.

Best thing to is play with the DHCP settings within the administrator tools in the control panel. This usually seems to work.

Another thing to try which can bit a bit O.T.T is do a hard rest on your your router;Modem because DHCP resides in these aswell

Best Of LUCK