Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MousePad

Win2k installs. Sigh.

Alright, a somewhat different question regarding getting Win2k back onto my box. I had a 98/NT/Win2k system, and I wanted to put Win2k (pro) over NT (server). Simple enough, I delete NT's WINNT dir, and get Win2k to install to that dir.

However, this fails to operate as planned.

Now, I am back to a bare 98 system, and Win2k will (usually) load ok, but when I change a setting - where the swapfile is and the locations of two drives that I use for swapspace - the system reboots and WILL NOT LET ME LOG IN. I tell you this is frustrating. It claims "Loading personal settings", the goes "saving settings" and dumps me back at the login.

I'm running Win2k pro build 2194, and if anyone can help, I'd be much obliged.

Oh, and if someone can open their boot.ini file and post the syntax for setting how NT boots, I'd be much obliged.

------------------

Just once, I'd like to see an elementary particle physicist use *ZOT* when referring to accelerator operations. Is that too much to ask?

The login problem happened to me when I foolishly Fdisked my MBR. One way to get it back is to just let the win2k installation files extract and reboot without installing, at least I managed it.

This is how I have my boot.ini setup:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=10

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT50

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT50=

Whereas win2k is on the first logical partition on the first drive, and formatted ntfs.

Hope that helps.