Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Installing without Infection

I'm getting a new laptop and I'm going to need to install some things on it. It already comes with Windows XP Home, so no need to install an OS. I'm getting it from Dell so they have some programs given to us. I was wondering, if those programs could be uninstalled? Or could Dell have integrated those programs so it won't be deleted? Because for WordPerfect, I will replace it with OfficeXP and the McAfee Security Center is only a 90-day trial. I have McAfee Virus Scan and I'm going to use ZoneAlarm Pro.

Also, what order should I install security software? I doubt any updates have been installed and I don't want to be infected by any of the viruses out there, such as trojans, or the many others that make the computer restart on its own. I have high speed so I must install all the good security updates and protect my computer.

So help me out with some advise.

Thank you

You've asked several questions. So, I will take them in the order of importance.

About security - You will do yourself the biggest favor in the world since you will be connected to a high speed modem if you will buy a router to interface between the modem and the PC. This means your modem should be connected to an ethernet interface. Your router will be more efficient than any software firewall. The reason - unless your PC sent out a packet and was expecting an answer all incoming packets are dropped at the router and never allowed to come in. With all of the infected PC's out there pinging like mad, software firewalls will drive you to drink telling you that such and such has pinged you and wants a particular response. Routers like linksys are so cheap and so effective.

-If you plan to use a software firewall, the one you suggested is very good, but I would read some reviews.

-Dell does not require you to use the software extras they put on a machine. If McAfee is on there, as long as you don't activate it, it won't be installed. Go to your Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel and it will show you what is installed on your computer. Personally, I don't recommend either McAfee or Norton's on home computers. Their installations embed components of their software so deeply into the system that you can never be sure you can get them out. They are overly proprietary and are most ofter the culprits as to why Windows Update won't update or Nvidia drivers fail. On business computers and networks, their professional products are great. Home computing is better served by some of the free software products like AVG or Anti-vir.

-You will be surprised at how few updates you may need for your operating system when you do go to Windows update. You must use IE to get into windows update (or at least IE components integrated into the Windows OS). At this point there is no workaround. Other than that you should not use IE for browsing. Even programs that have built off of IE and have added multi-tabbed and software popup stoppers into them still use IE components. For the time being use Mozilla or Firefox. They too use IE components (you can't get around that fact) but they do not use ActiveX components and their way of storing cookies and "temp" files will not allow activation (at least not to this point.

-One final thing. Install things one at a time. After installing new software, play with it until your are satisfied that things are working well. When you install multiple pieces of software you never can be sure which one is problematic. AND, with Dell machines, don't go installing the latest and greatest hardware and video drivers. Dell tweaks its machines. The drivers provided work with that machine and Dell presumes you are going to keep that configuration until you trade it in on your next Dell. Keep an eye on their tech downloads. If they recommend new drivers, you can download theirs. In theory you should be able to use the drivers given by a manufacturer since those peripherals are in your computer, but Dell does play with drivers to give their machines an edge.

Hope this helps