Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoega

W2K Hauppage WinTV-Radio PCI Knowhow

After been too afraid of installing this card in Win2K Final server after complete failures in several W2K betas I got some excellent advices from Hauppage today:

Dear Mr. Zoega,

you should:

· go to the Device Manager and uninstall (remove) "Multimediacontroller"

and "Videocontroler for Multimedia"

· run W2K302.EXE

(http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/wintvnt/w2k302.exe)

· the driver will be installed, and you will be asked to reboot

· reboot to finish the driver installation

· Install wintv2k22.exe (or wintv2k220beta.exe) (which is the TV

application)

(http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/wintv98/wintv2k220beta.exe)

Right afterwards I got another _driver_ from Hauppage US than on website but I guess they are the same (same size and Key sys files are same version) so let's forget about that "special service".

Here's my personal experience on this installation advices:

1. Removed the devices in Device manager | OK

2. Installed your attached driver and restarted | OK

3. Win 2000 recognizes that it has found your card | OK

4. Win 2000 now asks for the *.inf file | Not OK

This inf-file is of course not found because I suppose this should have worked without any user interaction .

I had to manually extract the files in w2k302.exe (the driver install package) to a temp dir with Winzip and tell the Win 2000 installer where to find the HCW848NT.INF. The installation then went OK with the ordinary warning dialogues. | OK

5. No restart because I'm not told to do that

6. Install Win 2000 application wintv2k220beta.exe | OK

7. No restart because I'm not told to do that

8. Try to start application | Not OK

Error with program, cannot find GEAR32SD.DLL in path. The application quits.

I found this file in the directory where I manually unpacked the driver before and copied it to the WinTV directory. | OK

8. Try to start TV application | OK

I guess Hauppage have to improve the installation package a bit, otherwise the TV now works OK except some sound glitches which I since a long time always blames the Aureal Vortex 2 (Diamond MX300) card which has drivers that never seems to be able to work properly.

Regards Mr. Zoega (!)

------------------

-------------------------

win2k build 2195 server

Abit BP6 2x 575 cels bios revision 1.21

256 pc133 ram

TNT2M64agp

MX300.........pci

WinTV-RADIO...pci

I just got the WinTV, installed it on my 2195 pro install, hit cancel after it detected, ran the driver .exe, rebooted, and it all works! The one thing that doesn't work: I can't get the remote to work. Has anyone been able to get it to work in Win2k?

-Mike

Just download the ir program from hauppauge. It works great for me! Do either of you get a static noise when you change channels? Also, does the audio from the Wintv die after the computer has hibernated? Thanks!

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

I'm so jealous! I can't get my Aver TV/Phone to work at all! What chip is wintv based on? My tuner is based on the bt848 I think. Has anybody got this card to work?

BT878

------------------

Shrink

Yeah I also get the static when changing channels with the new Win2K beta drivers (and the new Win98 ones as well, but not in the old win2k drivers or the old 98 ones). I think it is because it no longer mutes the line-in while changing channels, so it gets loud bursts of static in between. Anyone know how to fix this or what the e-mail for hauppage customer support is (it is nowhere on their page)?

Also, while trying to fix the problem I found the file irremote32.ini in the WINNT directory which contains the definitions for all the remote commands! Its very easy to edit and so now I am using the WinTV remote to control winamp, and surf the web from my chair smile Very cool feature...

Thanks for the tip about irremote! I will give that a try!

Think I can use it to synch my palm pilot?

------------------

Shrink

The address I used to contact Hauppauge was to my surprise :-p techsupport@hauppauge.com

I also have that static noice. Hibernation is sth I have dreamt of for many years, do you think I have it in my brand new BP6 and W2K? Nah. Lucky you!

That ir-remote is a great piece of art!!!

------------------

-------------------------

win2k build 2195 server

Abit BP6 2x 575 cels bios revision 1.21

256 pc133 ram

TNT2M64agp

MX300.........pci

WinTV-RADIO...pci

Argh any ideas why my remote won't work? I tried replacing the batteries, no difference. Did it work fine for you all immediately?

Oh and in hibernation it vuts the power to everything, so it really shouldn't work then smile

Are you running the remote control software? You should have a little remote icon in your tray if the remote software is working properly. Apart from that, just make sure you have a clear line of sight to the reciever and it should work fine.