I am about to build a personal file and web server. The setup is as follows:

Gateway G6-450

Pentium II-450 Mghz

384-MGB of RAM

3COM-595TX Card

Cheap DVD-Drive

Quantum 13GB HD

2 WD 200 GB JB in Software Raid 1

Promise TX2 Ultra 100 PCI Card (came with the drives)

Mandrake Linux 9.0

Here's my problem. When I get to the partitioning tool of the installation, the installer only sees one of the two WD drives attached to the Promise controler. If anyone can shed light on why this might be happening, I'd be very appreciative.

Mandrake has a very tuned Apache with all kinds of extensions pre-compiled, so if possible, I would much prefer to use Mandrake.

This is not a hardware issue as Red Hat 8.0 sees both drives and installs allowing me to setup a Raid 1 between the 2 WD hard drives. I have used the Raid 1 to place my /home and /var directories there.

I really would prefer to use Mandrake as that what I have always used for the past 3 years and know best, so lend a hand if you can.

Thank you,

Yuyo

In case somebody can clarify the mistery, I went and tried Mandrake 8.2 and it sees both drives attached to the Promise controller and it is able to create the Raid Arrays from them.

This really makes no sense. How can something work on Mandrake 8.2 and not do so on Mandrake 9.0? I wish I could fix this as it will be double work to update the much older 8.2?

Somebody has to have a good workaround for this. If you can please help.