Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deviant_prick

windows 98 vs mandrake 9.2

Windows 98 vs. linux mandrake 9.2

Installation:

Linux mandrake 9.2: will install directly off the cd (all three of them) there is a helpful completely graphical installer. The first problem that occurred was the mouse not working, unlike windows 98 mandrake only about 80% gets the mouse right. Also with mandrake you need to have a small amount of computing skill to use. You need to understand what a partisan is, a boot sector and a mount is. With those out of the way the installer goes about its business give help options as it goes. The user has the option of the language, mouse and resolution of mandrake, options windows does not. Also mandrake will try to configure all the devices it can, (video card, internet, sound)

Windows 98: The installer requires dos to be installed or some way of accessing cd\win98 like a boot disk. The installer does its preliminary checks and is not able to partition or format a dive (a feature which mdk has) The installer unlike mandrake is completely in English and there is no option to pick what your mouse type is or the resolution of the screen. But the main advantage is that windows 98 you need little to no knowledge of computing to get through. The installer also lacks the level of help mdk has only providing the minimal of help.

Overall: Through personal experience I dislike mdk installer because I had to install it four times in order for it to work. Looking at the facts though it is clearly apparent that mandrake wins hands down.

Mandrake: 7/10

Windows 98: 5/10

First boot:

Mandrake: mandrake starts up in the resolution you specified. Default (1024x786 @ 32bit) it also starts up with the option of what window manager you want (kde, gnome and more) Once logged it you are presented with the first time wizard to help you setup mandrake.

Windows: starts up in 640x480 @ 16 colors (farworse) it also provides a first time wizard which does not help you setup your computer only internet.

Windows: 3/10

Mandrake: 8/10

Stability:

Windows: What stability? I’ll run first time put at time parses the registry builds up and windows starts to slow down. Also windows has the knack of building up useless junk and tmp files. Also the shear size of the shit it has to load makes it a real strain on resources. Programs that do run on the system WILL stall, and they will crash and burn taking the os with it. There is one feature that is useful ‘task manager’ which allows you to kill operations, easily accessible with alt ctrl del on the keyboard

Mandrake: shit does stall but it doesn’t burn and take the os with it. The main disadvantage is the loss of some sort of task manager thing. If an operation stalls the user needs to go it the konsel and type ‘ps’ then get the process number and ‘kill [no.]’ it. Not very inconvenient

Windows: 2/10

Mandrake:5/10

Apps:

Windows: nearly everything on the market today runs on windows and usually built specifically for windows. Making everything run on it no matter how stable. Also applications can are logged on a central database making it easy to delete, modify and access them.

Mandrake: very few apps are created for linux and on top of that is the fact there is a dozen of more distros to spread them around. Yes you can get emulators like winex and others but they absolutely suck. There is a handful of apps that actually work and most not completely. Mandrake does come with allot of apps like gnome and kde which include things like open office and modzilla which really come in helpful.

Windows: 9/10

Mandrake: 1/10

Usability:

Windows: files system Is easy to use well set out. Any program that you install usually pops up in the stat menu. Also tones of techniqual helps available if needed. The update feature is reliable but not allot of info about what’s being installed. Also registration is required. You also can tell them where to install to

Mandrake: file structure is complicated, new programs are difficult to find. The only easy thing is internet access. The upgrade is really bad, not only does it update your pc it deletes and disassociates any link in your computer. I couldn’t figure it out of two days so I has to reinstall mdk.. but over all the update feature offers constant updates with detailed info on what they do. You have little to no control over where files are installed

Windows:7/10

Mandrake 3/10

Security:

Windows: security is like Swiss cheesy, full of holes. Also there are thousands and thousands of windows specific viruses waiting to infect your computer J. This is made up by the fact there and hundreds of antivirus and firewalls out there allot made by huge companies and very reliable

mandrake: regular security updates are available via updates witch make security pretty good. There is although a lack of scanners and firewalls and the ones that exist are made by individuals. Also I installed two and I can’t figure out how to use them, I can’t even figure out where they installed to. Or even if they are working

windows 7/10

mandrake: 6/10

windows pros:

-runs almost everything

-ease of use

-tons of support

windows cons:

-constantly stalls

-low security

-adds to the strength of a multi billion dollar organization with a monopoly

mandrake pros:

-stable

-free

mandrake cons:

-doesn’t run allot of programs

-not allot of techniqual help

overall

windows 98: 29

linux mandrake 9.2: 26

and the winner is…. A playstation IIbecause you don’t have to put up with shit! The only reason windows won is it has more application choice and it is easy to use.

mod parent 'Funny' not 'Interesting', please.

Well done, in the style of a bloggy rheumy reviewer, no less.

Anyone who's anyone just knows Mandrake wins overall because it has

Frozen Bubble! laugh

Originally posted by martouf:

Quote:

...Anyone who's anyone just knows Mandrake wins overall because it has

Frozen Bubble! laugh

Good Point. smile

Good review. The best of both worlds is using Win4lin on top of Mandrake 9.2. Then you have almost everything, including Frozen Bubble! wink

We use Win4lin, (Windows 98 on top of Mandrake 9.0), on a daily basis at my radio station to run Quickbooks Pro 2000. Except for games, we can run almost any Windows program we want on Windows 98 and at native speeds and with far better stability.

I'm a little confused. It's very nice that you took the time to write this and a hafway decent review, but, why window$ 98? the whole 9x line is now a dead issue. And why Mandrake 9.2, again, hardly the best candidate to compare... Linux has progressed a bit since that. When you can compare something like W2K which is probably the most robust and useable Window$ version to a current robust version of Linux then we have a ballgame wink

Originally posted by jimf43:

Quote:
I'm a little confused. It's very nice that you took the time to write this and a hafway decent review, but, why window$ 98? the whole 9x line is now a dead issue. And why Mandrake 9.2, again, hardly the best candidate to compare... Linux has progressed a bit since that. When you can compare something like W2K which is probably the most robust and useable Window$ version to a current robust version of Linux then we have a ballgame wink

Why windows 9x? because 95/98 are still the most home used os(s) followed by xp, now i don't think that is a dead issue do you? Windows 2000 was a flop by the microsoft coperation, it promised to be "the merger" between nt and dos. But like all programs the first was a dud, falling over itself with many issues like boot, stack handeling ect. We had to wait to for xp to get a resonable os.

and why mandrake 9.2? i waited untill there was a stable version. Mandrake 9 had the "non Adapti cd rom problem" that really f****ed it up, like all first relece versions and i assume becasue mandrake 10 has just come out it'll have allot of simular problems.

Why mandrake at all? simple. thats is nearly all newbies choices. And most people that are considering the swap to linux are going to try the jump to mandrake.

If you want a less half-arsed review between mandrake and windows just ask.

If you want me to compair a diffrent linux to a difffrent windows just ask.

well excuse me i have to go and preach [censored] on a fundementalist christian message board

Originally posted by deviant_prick:

Quote:
well excuse me i have to go and preach [censored] on a fundementalist christian message board

Sounds to me you've come up with an appropriate name for yourself. wink

Originally posted by deviant_prick:

If you want a less half-arsed review between mandrake and windows just ask.

If you want me to compair a diffrent linux to a difffrent windows just ask.

No thanks, your first review and comments are plenty 'half-arsed'.