Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Double0Three

Mouse not functioning in Mandrake

I am a first time Linux user, looking to get started with this Operating System. Just sick of Windows and like the whole idea behind open source and whatnot. Anyway I installed the newest version of Mandrake that I downloaded (Version 10 Official) and have successfully started the installation program. Right off the bat, I get no mouse. No matter what I do or what type of mouse I choose from the setup menu, it will not move or register clicks. It is just a simple Microsoft 2 button wheel USB optical mouse. I tried unplugging all other USB devices but still no dice. It works fine in Windows (of course) and have had no problems with it. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

what happens if you start the installation up with only the mouse connected from a cold

(power off) condition?

what happens if you start cold with nothing connected and then plug the mouse in after the

graphical system starts up?

I tried both. When I had only the mouse plugged in, started the computer from a cold boot, then still nothing. Then I started the installation program, took out the mouse and plugged it into another USB Port. Still nothing. One thing I noticed is that there are two lights on the mouse, the optical light that tracks the movement, then there is also one on the back, (assuming it's just for looks). That light on the back is always on in Windows, and it wasn't on for some reason while installing Mandrake. The optical light was on though, so the mouse is still getting power. I have no idea what is going on, looked through the Bios, tried messing with some settings for Legacy USB devices, still no dice.

it's important there be nothing connected until well after the installation

program starts and the graphical part of it has started before plugging

the mouse in. You don't want the auto-detection to get confused, as it seems

it already is. Try precisely what I described.

would you happen to have on hand a plain serial mouse (PS/2 connector or DB-9)?

if the thing to try above doesn't work out, it would seem now your optical mouse

isn't going to work without some post-installation twiddling.

First goal is successful installation with some set of hardware.

Thanks for the tips. I will go do some more messing around and see what I can figure out. I don't have another mouse right here, but if I search around I will probably find my USB -> PS2 Adapter. I'll let you know what happens, thank you so much for the help.

Ok it seems I don't have that PS/2 adapter right now, so that is out of the picture. But as for this USB mouse, it doesn't look good. I had the mouse unplugged, along with all my other devices (besides keyboard) and same thing. I start up the install program and there's no mouse movement. Now everytime I try it the screen doesn't even come up that lets me choose what type of mouse I have. Any other ideas? Thanks again!

A few thoughts. What system is this, or what motherboard do you have?

Is the mouse being plugged into a primary USB port, or into a usb hub?

Thirdly, what speed did you burn the iso's at when you made the cd's?

I have an MSI KT3 Ultra(MS-6380E) motherboard. It has USB 1.1 that has given me no problems before. It has 2 USB ports, and a device that plugs in that gives an additional 2. But I am using one of the standard ports for the mouse. When I burned the ISOs, they were burned fairly fast I suppose, @ 40X, but I don't think there is a problem with the CDs. I only have a problem about 1 out of every 40-50 CDs I burn, but I probably should have been more careful burning an OS smile. Does anyone have the MD5 Checksum number for these CDs so I can check for sure?

You may want to run down to your local computer shop

and pick up another usb->ps2 adapter, they're like $5 here.

Then if you still have problems with no mousie try reburning the cds. I was reading in one of hte posts that iso's like to burn slow. I burned my 4 disk set at 16x and it seems to be fine

If you have a cdr to spare, burn the 1st disk (after checking the checksum on the original, if it shows bad), at a slower speed.

ISO files need to be burned at 4X or 8X, to assure a good burn.

I will guess that you have a bad cd burn.

You should be able to get the checksum values on the site where you got the iso files.

There are problems with the 2.6.3 kernel and usb mice. the kernel has support for this, but I'm not sure how this is configured for you. Look at what is in your XF86Config-4 config file.

The 2.6.7 kernel has pretty much resolved this.

Yeah I'm very doubtful it's a CDR problem, it doesn't report any files being corrupt or anything, so I'm gonna try the USB to PS/2 coverter. I picked it up and will let you know how it goes.

Anyway I'm a complete newbie and have no idea where or how to get to the XF86Config-4 file (it's not installed yet anyway, seeing if I can clear up the mouse problem) but if the PS/2 mouse works and I can install with no problems, then I'll work on getting the USB mouse to work post install.

Thank you for your help everyone, expect to see a post here as soon as I get started on this (probably won't get a chance until Sunday). I'll need to know how to change the config to make the mouse work, either that or get the new kernel version. All of which is greek to me due to being a Micro$oft user.

Thanks for everyone's help!

When you start to configure that mouse, just remember: At a terminal as root:

mousedrake [enter]

smile