Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

Ack Ack no screens found!

I dccided to move up to Mandrake 10, (9.2) would lock up sometimes,

So I have 10 now

Instaleld Nvidia driver (in the text mode)

Startx,

"no screens found"

in 9.2 , i would have to reinsall teh driver, then startx woudl work for that session and I would have to run teh X11 config tool to set resolution for monitor and card.

But in 10 cant get in to do that. SO Im stuck in text mode, adn I somehow need to get into the etc/x11/ XF86 file to add the "nvidia" under driver, and somehow set the monitor resolution

*in a state of panic now* frown

ANd sometimes stuff locks up, and im like grrr i have to do cold reboot, and then itss time to reload the OS frown

what should i be doing when stuff locks up? is there any way out?

Thanks for sharing that, in order to help someone else. You can also use vi. Both emacs and vi have their advocates.

As for the not respond what do I do now?

System wont respond to keyboard, but I can still move the mousie

Cant click on anything though, I know that if i do cold reboot, its time to start all over frown

help?

`

Nope never messed with that.

Im haveing way to many problems with this computer. in Winzdoeze it woudl reboot at random, with Linux it locks up sometimes. Not sure what could be causing it. Any ideas? Someone suggested IRQ problmes? Have changed the bios to manual irq, so it will let Linux set them up right? instead of the bios.

Have got to say though, I much prefer the flexibily and stability linux has over winoze.

Random reboots in Windows and freezes in Linux often point to hardware issues. Could be bad ram or a funky power supply, or the power supply is overloaded. An irq issue possibly, but this generally occurs if you have a lot of harware that needs to be assigned an irq, or problems sharing slots in the system.

What version of Windows? Post some system specs. and add-ons that you have on the system.

Have you recently added ram, or a pci card? Try to trace what may be the issue here. For example, if you did recently add a piece of hardware, such as a pci card, is it located next to the agp (video card) slot? If you just added ram, you should use ram that is the same make and rating. Mixing ram brands can be a problem.

I took it to the shop to test the hardwware all of which they said tested good. But i got the ram switched out, Kingston Value Ram (thinking I should have sprung for Corsair, even though didnt have the extra money for that brand)

1 gig (512 matched retail pair Kinston ValueRam)

XP 3200 w/400 fsb

Asus A7NX-E DELUXE (late4st bios)

Asus geforceFX 5700 w/256mb

Creative AudigyGamer (first generation)

Plextor Premium CDRW

Pioneer Slotload DVD

(2) Lian Li Mobile racks

60 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm

120 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm

Enermax noisetaker 600 watt PS

Thermaltake Volcano 12 Extreme running at 5800 rpm

Video & Suond card, Hard Drives, Cdrom drives were uses in previous system without any problmems.

MOBO, RAM, Processer, PS all new

I was reading that APIC can cause hangs so I checked the Force NO APIC optin during install and I disabled APIC in bios

thoguht im not really sure that APIC is or what it does. And i changed in teh bios ICQ to manual, to let Linux assign them instead of the bios.

I called up kingston back up, seems only their value line has issues, so I caled up the retailed and am getting an rama for refund and I will be purchaseing some coorsair TWINXL 1024-3200 C2

ram

I agree. Let us know if it works. Once you have the new memory, try Windows first and see if the stability improves.

All right I'll have to suffer dealign with teh evil OS just for stabily testing

Can you shed any light on the APIC thing? what is it? or what does it do?

grr that happened to me just now again, wtf does "no screens found" really mean? and what is the what to fix that other than reinstalling the driver again?

grr that happened to me just now again, wtf does "no screens found" really mean? and what is the what to fix that other than reinstalling the driver again?

Two possibilities. Look at your XF86Config-4 file again.

Look for the Section "Module". It will look something like;

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

If you don't see the Load "glx" line, add it. Finally, if you have Load "dri" or Load "GLcore", remove it.

The second issue. What monitor are you using?

Make sure that the horiz. and vertical refresh rates match what

your monitor is designed for. But Mandrake worked before w/o the nvidia driver, correct?

And the config file was changed from Driver "nv" or Driver "vesa" to Driver "nvidia", correct?

Finally, are you trying to log into startx as user or root?

mine matches exactly

I used to have it set to 1280x1024 at 60hz , then I later set it to Plug and Play, and have the resolution at 1280x960 at 24bpp (I used to try 1280x1024, but linux would reset it to 1280x960 (guessing card didnt like that resolut at 24bit colour)

It's a random thing, and I dont know what causes it, things were great till all of a sudden , the error. Fortunately its easy to reinstall the driver but dang, how to fix the "no screens found" I always play with the Xserver config and pretend to change stuff, and hit ok., then reboot

Ok, let's dig into this a bit. What exact monitor and video card do you have? Can you post your XF86Config-4 file? If not, copy it to a disk and send it to me at leffingd@yahoo.com.