Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
macawgumbo

Fedora Core 2 vs. SuSE 9.1 FTP Install | What do you think?

I have a choice to make. For reasons not explained here, I have narrowed my linux distro search to two distributions, Redhat Fedora Core 2 and SuSE 9.1 FTP Install. I absolutely love SuSE's YAST2 tool. It makes configuration so much easier. I also like the fact that I can easily choose a mirror for updates instead of like in Fedora having to use Redhat's dog slow servers. I am only concerned about the fact of package selection in SuSE compared to Fedora. I will need to use this computer as a Windows replacement (full productivity, surfing, music, cd burning, gaming etc.) along with Apache to do some PHP/MySQL development. Which would be faster on an nForce2 platform? Any thoughts would be great.

There are Fedora mirrors and I'm certain you can adjust your Fedora config to use them.

As for the distro choice, I think you're observing a cylindrical clear silica liquid container

filled to half capacity.

In other words: 6 of a set of 12 or a half-dozen, your choice.

"Faster" should not be a consideration, much less a Real World issue.

Let's put it this way, I love SuSE, but don't want to skimp on the availability of programs. Is the FTP Install the same as personal or in between Personal and Pro. By the way, I tried Gentoo and got headaches. I loved the learning experience but the curve was too steep. ALSA wouldnt work right so I gave up. Shame on me. Oh well. For now I want a packaged distro like redhat and suse. ANyways can someone give me some more advantages of Suse?

I've never used Suse, although a friend of mine is going to let me borrow his boxed copy of 9.0 in a day or two. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised!

I can tell you about Fedora though. If you like Yast, you would likely also like apt-get rpm for Fedora. I think it works pretty much the same way, and I've not experienced any problems downloading packages nor with up[censored] my system with apt-get.

I like Fedora precisely for the reasons you mention. If you're not in a hurry, I can get back with you on my thoughts about Suse after I've had time to smoke it over.

I don't think you need to worry about package availability because both Red Hat

and SuSE serve practically identical audiences - only one is to the west of the Atlantic

and the other to the east, respectively.

I say this as a RHCE who uses SuSE at home.

I have had an oppurtunity to use Fedora and SuSE before. I would say Fedora is is very much similar to SuSE, the only difference being the YAST2 tool. I love it. I can configure everything during setup and rerun it at anytime to reconfigure things. I think that you will appreciate the YAST2 tool, Dapper Dan. Let me know what you think. As for now, I will do an FTP install of SuSE 9.1 and stick with it. Please feel free to continue to post though. Include other distros if you want.