Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjag2

Processor Upgrade from P4 2.0 to 2.8 - Also is my current rig HT capable?

Hey guys,

I'm not a pc wiz so I'm posting on here to seek advice.

My PC specs are:-

Windows XP

P4 2.00 GHz

1.5 Mb Ram (3 sticks of Kingston's 512 ValueRam 2700)

Asus P4S333 Motherboard

ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 Mb

40 Gb HDD (some brand, cant remember, thinking of upgrading + getting a 2nd HDD)

Just wanted to know, with these specs in mind, as to how hard it is to upgrade from a P4 2.00 GHz to P4 2.8?

Can I do it by myself or should I try to find a shop who can do it for me, for a price ofcourse.

And finally, can my rig / motherboard support Hyperthreading? Is the mobo Prescott capable?

Thanks for all your help,

- J

Hmmm in that case, I ll upgrade my motherboard and then get a new processor.

I was thinking of getting:-

Motherboard - Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

Processor - Intel Pentium 4 3.2G-E (800Mhz FSB) Prescott

I hope my current rig can support such a upgrade and that I also wont need to get a new casing frown

Thanks for the advice and those that are forthcoming,

- J

Is the my choices good by the way? I sort of thought that the 3.4G chip is way too expensive at the moment and as for the Asus motherboard, well I read acouple of reviews & a good friend's recommendation about the Deluxe really clinched it for me.

Also, is Intel going to release a 3.6 chip anytime soon? If so then I might wait till then since the 3.4 might be cheaper.

Personally, I would not "upgrade" to a Prescott processor at this time. The motherboard manufacturers are just now catching up with the new sockets specification and the memory sticks are only just getting to a stability where the 266 (quad scan 1000+) bus can work. It took a while for the Northgate to find its board; the same can be said for the Prescott. Further, the 64 bit processing which is switched off right now will be switched on later and quite probably only in the new socket motherboards.

Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:
Personally, I would not "upgrade" to a Prescott processor at this time. The motherboard manufacturers are just now catching up with the new sockets specification and the memory sticks are only just getting to a stability where the 266 (quad scan 1000+) bus can work. It took a while for the Northgate to find its board; the same can be said for the Prescott. Further, the 64 bit processing which is switched off right now will be switched on later and quite probably only in the new socket motherboards.

I agree, this is not a good time for buying new PC. But if your parts are dead or for any reason you need to change your parts i think the motherboard and CPU you mentioned will do just fine. Try to stay away from the p4 3.0Ghz with 1MB cache because we are having some overheating problems with it. but other CPU's seem to be fine (including all the other 3.0GHz cpu's). wink