Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

Verizon + FiberOptics to Homestead = Good thing!

Well, most importantly, this creates competition for the cable and telcos, which can only result in better technology available for us.

You see, this creates the opportunity via affordable massive bandwidth for realtime video phones, too, so BellSouth et al will have to either start laying massive amounts of fiber, or come up with a way to better utilize the existing copper infastructure, which is doubtful, as copper is seemingly stretched to it's limits. Also, in some rural areas (specifically here in NC) the only copper in place is that which was dragged by mules about 100 years ago. (No kidding on that, I heard it from an employee at the local BellSouth NOC)

So anyway, as a good analogy, with the recent beta of Gmail, MSN/Hotmail have increased their storage 125x for free users, Yahoo has increased their free storage 25x for free users, so you see? Competition between (monopoly) companies is almost always good for us.

Just imagine the possibilities, with that kind of bandwidth. The internet will become even more decentralized, likely with less and less hosting companies (they may evolove solely into off-site backup/storage/archival services), more root servers, and a more peer-to-peer topology.

Exciting times, these are.

This is all well and good if your ILEC is Verizon(GTE) and not somebody else like SBC, Qwest et.al. frown

Any word on the up speeds? I'm seriously happy with my 3MB down, but the 256k or less up is jsut a hassle, for things like P2P and home servers.

-bZj