Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
quafboy

64Bit XP Trial Problems.

I recently downloaded the 64bit XP .iso and burned it to disk so I could set up 64bit XP.

Only it didn't go as planned.

I'm running an AMD 64 3200+ 2.2 ghz proccesor with a 250gb Matxtor maxline II SATA harddrive. My mother board is an shuttle an5or nforce3 150 chipset. (with 64 bit support.)

I have 1 gb DDRAM and SB audigy pro 2z plat.

DETAILED HISTORY:

first I tried installing the silicon drivers that came with my mainboard for the 64bit XP not realizing it wouldn't support 64.

So, I downloaded the silicon updated drivers from: http://www.short-media.com/download.php?dc=62

and got past the 3rd party driver screen but as I pressed enter to start the install, my computer shut itself down.

I was dumb founded. Perhaps it has to do with my ram? I might try booting with all but 1 ram stick in. then after its al complete, putting it back in. I'm so new to Raid = Serial ATA.

any help will be appriciated cause at this point I'm desperate for a taste of 64bit fun.

First of all, don't give up quite yet wink The issue maybe with the system itself. Does it install Windows XP 32-bit just fine without shutting down like you described ?!?

If so then this is good start and seems to indicate that your hardware is working.

Now then when you d/l the Silicon Image device drivers, did you d/l the RAID 64-bit drivers or the ATA 64-bit drivers ?!? This is important in that you only have the single HD and thus only have it running in ATA/IDE/Single drive mode, not RAID mode!!!

Double check this and copy the files, after you extracted them from the archive onto a formatted floppy disk. Now reboot the machine with the 64-bit XP in the CD and press the F6 key when it displays the third party SCSI RAID controller line at the bottom of the screen.

See what happens and let us know. I had no problems using this beta install so far wink

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
First of all, don't give up quite yet wink The issue maybe with the system itself. Does it install Windows XP 32-bit just fine without shutting down like you described ?!?

If so then this is good start and seems to indicate that your hardware is working.

Now then when you d/l the Silicon Image device drivers, did you d/l the RAID 64-bit drivers or the ATA 64-bit drivers ?!? This is important in that you only have the single HD and thus only have it running in ATA/IDE/Single drive mode, not RAID mode!!!

Double check this and copy the files, after you extracted them from the archive onto a formatted floppy disk. Now reboot the machine with the 64-bit XP in the CD and press the F6 key when it displays the third party SCSI RAID controller line at the bottom of the screen.

See what happens and let us know. I had no problems using this beta install so far wink

what about my wireless card. I cant't find it's drivers anywhere. It would suck to go through all that and be stuck at that point