Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
R3ckl3ss

Mandrake Install Question...

I apologize if I sound like a complete n00b, but that's because I am. A couple of years ago I started messing around with linux and decided to choose Mandrake. I kinda lost intrest with it because I didn't now jack and finding info was hard to do with a dialup connection. Now that I got my wireless connection I've decided to give it a go again. So here's my question.

I've installed Mandrake before and haven't had a problem with it except that it's slow as hell. What I was wondering was if I could use a boot floppy and install it with the iso images already on the drive. Something like mounting them when they are needed or something to that effect. That way I bypass using the ancient cd-rom that is in the linux box. I've done it with windows (copying the i386 folder to the hdd when installing WinXP). The HDD transfer rate would be a whole lot faster than using the cd's.

Hi R3ckl3ss, and welcome!

I don't know if what you're wanting to do is possible, but I feel certain someone else here can tell you. Is it just a really slow old machine? I can't think of any other reason the install would be so slow, that you'd want to try and do it another way.

I've put Mandrake 8.2, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and 10, (along with several other distros), on what I call my "experimental box." It's an old 1998 custom built job with 128 ram, 650 Celeron and a 6 gig hard drive, and all of them installed in what I felt was a reasonable period of time.

Of course a lot depends on how many packages you want to install. One good thing about Mandrake is you are a allowed to make a truly minimal install.

If the process is just to tedious for you, why not do a smaller install to begin with, and just add packages over time as you need them? URPMI is a great way to install Mandrake packages!

That sounds like the same system that I'm currently using. I was just wondering if there was a way to mount the iso images as a cdrom during the install.

I appreaciate your help on the problem. I think that I don't have enough patience to do a install, and was hoping to speed it up a bit.

Thanks