Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sonny_rk

Computer, Or router Problems

Ok, I figured out my computer obviously didnt have a virus from the other post.. So I went ahead to see if its the router, so I just hooked mine up directly to the cable box, and It ran fine, no disconnecting problems or anything. But so I unpluged all computers but mine from the router and tried that too, worked fine.. Pluged my sisters in. And I had the problem again..

Problem : Dissconnection from the internet..

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Sonny

Have you tried connecting your sisters box into another port on the router, changing the ethernet cable connecting her machine to the router?!? Have you tried adjusting her NIC settings from AUTO Detect media speed to a manual 100Mb/Full Duplex?!?

I would also check to see if her machine has any unneccessary protocol's installed such as IPX/SPX or NetBUEI. I've also experienced issues with the QOS Packet Scheduler within Windows XP. Just uncheck this option.

Did you take the modem off line (pull the electrical plug out) before you connected your sister's computer to the router?

Im not shure, can you guys aim me on aim to help me?

Dancewithsonny is my screenname

Your router serves as a switcher. I am presuming that your computers are networked. So, put all of the computers into the router. Generally, you should let the router assign the IP internally. If all of the computers can see one another, you know that the connection between them and the router is working.

At this juncture, while the modem is off, connect the modem to the WAN of the router. Then, turn the modem on. The modem will connect with the ISP setting itself up with the address assigned by the ISP.

At this point you should be able to have any one of the computers get out to the internet. If they can't and you had changed the firmware, see if you can install the original firmware.

If you connect a single computer to the modem, then put the connection into the router to the computer without resetting the modem, the connection will try to connect only to the computer that had previously been connected to the modem and exclude all others.

One quick thought: does your ISP/cable co allow multiple connections? It could be that if you're browsing using multiple IP addresses, and the cable company doesn't like this.

Are you using NAT on the router?

Rgds

AndyF

If your router is a D-link, don't think your doing anything wrong. throw it out and buy a differnt router. cause d-links are big pieces of crap.

Hey, hope someone can help here...

A while ago, I accidentally reset our router to factory default settings, and thus lost the ability to connect to the 'net. We called the company and got all the settings put back straight and can now, as before, connect to the internet no problem.

HOWEVER!

I have found that I can't send or submit files of any type in any way to anyone or anywhere. I can't upload images to placed like DeviantArt or Imageshack, I can't submit files to places like Newgrounds, and I can't send files across any form of IM program (be it MSN, AIM, YIM, Trillian... the lot). This is a serious problem as far as I'm concerned, as I send files about a lot usually, to my DeviantArt account, to my DrunkDuck-hosted comic, and to my friends online.

According to the Zen (our ISP) helpline, all the settings are as they should be. For a short while last night (Tuesday 18th) from about 9:30pm onwards, I was able to send files again - but when I came back to my PC and tried to do so today, it failed yet again.

Any ideas what's wrong, and how I can fix it?