Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sensei

3.69 and 3.75 Drivers Lock

For some reason, if I use either the 3.69 or the 3.75 drivers, I get random lockups just sitting at the desktop. I can use 3.66 all night long and it will never ever lock. Is anyone else having these problems and if so, how'd you fix it? BTW, my specs are:

AMD Athlon 650

Gigabyte 7IX

160 MB RAM

Riva TNT2 Ultra (Xentor 32)

Pete

with the same drivers Unreal Tournament reboots my machine even in software mode

No Prob with 3.66

Specs:

PIII 450

SE440BX2 Mobo (intel)

CL GEFORCE256 SDR

WIN2K 2195 OEM

128MB

SB Live OEM

I have also had problems with the new drivers. After many, many different tries of changing cards and such, I finally traced the prob back to my AGP. Basically it seems that the VIA AGP driver that comes with W2K doesn't work fully. The reason those earlier drivers work is because they don't enable AGP optimizations. Although I have found that the openGL driver with the latest release works much better. (you can copy the file over the other in the system32 folder)

I also have a motherboard with VIA chipset, and I have the exact same problem with freezes in 3.69 and 3.75. I am running in 3.66 and the performance drop is very noticeable. Via has an AGP port driver on their webpage, but it says it is for win95/98/SE. Will this port driver work for win2k? Or if anyone know any other way to fix it, can they please give a concise easy to follow explanation of how, I would really appreciate it.

*frustrated at not being able to use new drivers*

--Redwin

I'm having no problems with the 3.75 drivers.

My system config is:

P3 450

Soyo 6vba133

128 Meg Ram

Diamond Viper 770

3.66 had problems with a few games but that is it.

Nope, the Via agp drivers won't work and can't be loaded. I think we're just stuck with running 3.66 until Via does something about it.

Interestingly, I was able to get the AGP optimizations working with the 3.66 drivers when a prog I was trying to get to run installed DirectX 5.0. I tried going to Dx6, but it didn't work then. Most of the games I have run in 6 or better so it sucks.

I couldn't even get it my card working correctly in my FIC PA2013 2Meg board. I swapped it out to a 503+ and then it worked (with 3.66 of course)

Well you can add my name to the list. I have random lockups as well. When I go back to the 3.68 drivers everything appears to be fine. When I try 3.69 or 3.75 my system randomly locks. I have an Athlon system using the Asus K7M MB with the AMD North Bridge chipset for the AGP slot. Possibly more than the VIA chipsets?

Does anyone know how to remove the AGP optimzations under the 3.75 drivers?

The older drivers run UT in a window'ed mode and that makes playing impossible.

-Q

Well you can add my name to the list. I have random lockups as well. When I go back to the 3.68 drivers everything appears to be fine. When I try 3.69 or 3.75 my system randomly locks. I have an Athlon system using the Asus K7M MB with the AMD North Bridge chipset for the AGP slot. Possibly more than the VIA chipsets?

Does anyone know how to remove the AGP optimzations under the 3.75 drivers?

The older drivers run UT in a window'ed mode and that makes playing impossible.

-Q

Run DXDIAG, and hit the Display tab - there are buttons to disable several video card driver features, including AGP...

Try disabling irq steering it worked for me

everything seems to be running stable so far

------------------

I'ts not broken i'ts reverse engineered!

btw. recently I had to reinstall win2k from scratch - I'd lost all d3d and opengl support. Didn't matter what driver I used.

I wish I knew if the problem is that I'm using 2195.1 and not 2195.3..

Ghetto....how do you disable IRQ steering under win2k?

Figured i'd try that and see if I could get these drivers to work.

-Q

You have to go to device manager then click on computer and standard pc properties.

Still running reat here after a few hours of gaming

[This message has been edited by GhettoPC (edited 31 January 2000).]

A tough pill to swallow for some...

I would advise all users who want Windows 2000 and a nvidia based display card to ditch their non-Intel motherboards and buy one with the real i440BX or newer Intel chipset. If you hate Intel or your too in love with your VIA or ALI chipset, then sell your nvidia card and buy a Voodoo 3. You'll be thanking me if you do, and fighting a losing battle if you don't.

I don't love Intel or hate VIA/ALI, but thats just the way it looks like being for the immediate future.

I have ZERO problems in Windows 98 with my mobo and video card. It is obviously Windows 2000 or the drivers. So no, I'm not going to ditch my Athlon.

Sensei

Disabling the optimizations in DirectX won't do no good. We just have to run a non-AGP driver until Via or MS fix the problem.

As for the other question of where to turn off the routing - go to the device manager and under PC and then Standard PC - it's under the properties. I recomend shutting it off for all non-intel boards. (I think Intel's trying to force everyone to there systems again - I don't think they'll succeed this time either)

As for turning off IRQ steering....I went to the device manger and there are no references to "device manager then click on computer and standard pc properties". I went Start -> Settings -> Control Panel, double clicked System, selected the Hardware tab, and click on the Device Manager button. There is a "Computer" entry, but under there is the ACPI stuff.

So...what am I missing??

-Q

I'm sorry, I had just assumed that you knew where the Device Manager was. Right-click on My Computer on the desktop and hit Properties. Then select the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button. Under there you'll see a tree with Computer and if you expand out that branch you'll see the Standard PC. A right-click >> Properties on that will take you to where you want to go.

Wish it was that simple cause I am running on an intel board w/ the 440 bx chipset and I am locking up as well. In 98 I get weird green dots and lines on my textures. It used to work fine but now when I run AvP and gabriel knights 3 I get these weird textures. Then I ran final reality and saw I got them only on the apg test. I have read it has to do with the voltage the card is getting. Could be locking it up as well. Any thoughts?

w/ nvidia drivers 3.75 --> comp hangs after a while (usually in internet explorer) -->freezes and i can't even restart my comp, so i turn it off and on again... now i'm back w/ the default win2k drivers...

[MB Abit BH6 FU/Intel P2-350/SB PCI 64/Canopus Spectra 2500 TNT/Quantum EL/128 MB SDRAM 100/win2k 2195 final clean install]