Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xpeedoff

mandrake install hang

hey;

trying to install mandrake 10 on a pc. install hangs after the install splash screen. tried to boot in text mode and this is the last four lines of code...

checking 'hlt' instruction... ok

checking for popad bug... ok

posix conformance testing by UNIFIX

enabled ExtINT on cpu#0

esr value before enabling vector: 00000002

...and that's where it hangs. m/b originally had onboard video but have istall agp video card. may be a checksum error. am wondering if i have to turn something off in the BIOS. please help as i am stumped and want windows GONE!

Any plea for Windows to be gone, gets a reply from me! wink

Lets start from the top. Which version of Mandrake 10 do you have? DID you check with md5sum? were the numbers the same? At what speed, and with which software did you burn it?

the latest version of mandrake...as in i downloaded the iso's yesterday.did not do md5sum as i was not aware of it.what IS md5sum? burnt at 48x on 48 speed disks. used nero 5.5 as iso's and eplored the discs afterwards to check for content. seemed all there to me...

changed the recommended bios settings from a linked page on this site. video shadow ram= no. pnp os= no , boot virus protect= no, shared vidmem is off. still hangs in the same spot. thinking it might be a failed posix check. is it possible to have a non compliant m/b?! if this is indeed the problem, might be able to get a flash for that. btw...

elitegroup k7vmm m/b

via km266 chipset

In Nero, burn that image at 4X 0r 8X, no faster. Then try the install. ISO files do not burn correctly at high speeds.

Are you using cdrw or cdr disks?

If burning the image at a slower rate doesn't cure the difficulty, then try passing the

kernel parameters "apm=off acpi=off noapic" or whatever your distro calls a "failsafe" boot.

Another thought: are you attempting to boot a SMP kernel on a uniprocessor system?

i try not to use cdrw unless necessary...so cdr's. will try burning at the lower speeds. burning @ 8x or 4x seems soooo 4 tears ago...lol. will try that also. could be a smp but i think it recognises a single processor. will also try the kernel commands. keep ya posted.

thanx

"recognizes a single processor" -

if it's system with good multiprocessor (MP) hardware and one CPU installed, then yes,

all is well.

If it's a system with ++ungood MP hardware and two CPUs installed, then

all may be well.

If it's a system with one CPU and the kernel probes and finds no MP hardware, then

all is well.

If it's a 1-CPU system and the kernel thinks it's got MP hardware, then: who knows?

There are a few more possibilities, but I think you've got the idea by now.

The first step in troubleshooting an MP system is to boot a UP kernel.

I seem to have the same problem. I tried a boot disk thinking it might get me a little further , but no.

I am installing mandrake linux community 10.1

I'll try md5 and get a bunch of my computer info posted.

Along similar lines.......

I finally got the last cd of Mandrake 10. Chucked the first cd in and booted up. Went to upgrade option instead of install and it went through the process.

When it went to boot up the screen just flickered, went to a prompt with Login:....

Tried to upgrade again but to no avail. Decided to do a proper full install and it works perfectly now.

Is this a known issue with Mandrake? That the Upgrade option doesnt really work?

Damien