Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Installing apt-get RPM on Fedora Core 2

Apt-get RPM is based on the same principle as apt-get for Debian, in that it works out all the depenencies for you when installing packages. To install apt-get on Fedora core 2, download this and this.

As root, "cd" to the directory where you downloaded these two RPMs and go:

rpm -Uvh apt-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm apt-devel-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm [enter]

(If using konsole, you can copy and paste the above command, without "[enter]" of course...)

Both should install without incident. Next, you must update your machine with apt by going:

apt-get update [enter]

After it finishes, do apt-get update a second time.

When it is through downloading the updates, you will next need the front end for apt which is called "Synaptic."

Still as root go:

apt-get install synaptic

When it is done installing synaptic, just type:

synaptic [enter]

The Synaptic front end will now come up. It is very intuitive, and you shouldn't have too difficult a time figuring out how to use it.

Quote:
As root, "cd" to the directory where you downloaded these two RPMs and go:

I get it all but that part

"cd"? What's that mean?

Thanks alot for all the help you've given me. smile

cd means Change Directory. When you open a terminal it will likely start out in your home directory. If, for instance, you installed the RPMs to your "Documents" directory which would be in your home directory, you would go:

cd Documents [enter] to change to, or enter that directory.

Lets assume you needed to go to the directory containing your desktop sessions. You would go:

cd /etc/X11/dm/Sessions [enter]

Which would place you in the Sessions directory.

See?

Think of it like this:

You can't build RPMs or Tarballs unless you are in the directory where they are.

Let's pretend you wanted to bake a cake. All the ingredients are in the kitchen, but you're in the upstairs bedroom. You can't make the cake from your bedroom, so you must change rooms. You must go downstairs, and into the kitchen to bake the cake, because that's where it's ingredients are..

Do you know about the fabulous TAB key? It is a lifesaver in Linux! Let's say you wanted to install apt-devel-0.5.15cnc6-1.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm

Once in the directory where that file is located you would go:

rpm -Uvh apt-d [press tab key]

And the rest is filled in for you automatically so you don't have to type it!

Neat huh? smile

You can add and subtract repositories as you like. There are many apt-get rpm repositories, that have all kinds of packages. Look under "preferences." then, there are the dag repositories..

Just Google:

dag apt-get rpm fedora Core 2

Very nice directions, Dan. Hunting down some of the repositories is sometimes a pain, but well worth it. Once you get a good set of repositories, it works very well, with some exceptions. Mplayer, for example, is not ready for Fedora Core 2, but all of the basics are there. Some web sites, such as K3b, even offer apt repository directions on their web page. So, everybody is getting the idea.

If it is Photoshop 5.5, yes. Unforunately, my favorite Wine site, Frank's Corner is down right now. Hopefully he will be up and running soon. The site message states that the account has been suspended. It is an excellent resource. I hope it comes back up soon.

For reference; Frank's Corner links.

I am trying to install atp and it comes up with an error "can't create transaction lock" when I try to install the cnc file. What am I doing wrong? I downloaded it from freshrpms. I installed firefox from an rpm sucessufully. Another question, once I have atp will I be able to install rpm files without going into command line stuff? Not that that is a big deal, but it can be a pain. I am a linux noob, it seems to be getting easier though. wink I like it. Oh, I'm running Fedora core 2 kernel 2.6.8...

on the from command line thing your going to want to get synaptic once its fixed

in this order

apt-get update

apt-get update

apt-get install synaptic

didnt say this in your post but make sure your root other than that im not sure

all right this is where it gets interesting redhat has this thing about using there kernel so get the kernel from up2date or synaptic your choice i personally always run custom kernels

k

what your going to want to do is first hit mark all upgrades and select smart update that will update all software to the current version or i like to do that through the command line

like this

apt-get dist-upgrade this will upgrade everything for you it will ask you if you want to proceed and x amount of space will be taken

synaptic is easily my favorite tool around

you can go by sections

like say applications multimedia hit enter on the package you want to install and it may come up with will install these packages as well or will have to remove the packages now at first you really dont need to worry about it

the best thing about apt is resolved dependcies some applications will ask for different dependcies this handles that for you

once you have all the packages you want to install hit apply it will show how many packages will install/removed/etc. and then you can expand the categories to see whats in each section

just play around with synaptic and youll get the feel

if you dont see the application you want you can add repositories and if you want ill explain that to you im still looking for a site that lists core 2 repositories

apt-get in my opinion shows alot more power through the command line

heres a link to all the commands

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/apt-get.8.html

you can also check this out for some more help

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=12844&mode=threaded