Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
szfszm

About ATI driver installation under redhat linux AS 2.1

I installed redhat enterprise linux AS 2.1 on my notebook.It said cannot probe my video card(radeon 9000 mobility),then I downloaded driver from ATI,installed,graphic interface appears but I encountered the following problem while running fglrxinfo:relocation error:/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1:undefined symbol.how to resolve it?By the way my kernel is 2.4.9-e.3.

I wish I could help you, but I'm afraid my days of fighting with ATI cards have long since been over. I hope someone can help you figure this out. If not, you can save yourself the agravation by getting an Nvidia. The cost is fairly reasonable, and in my opinion, Nvidia is really on the ball when it comes to supporting Linux.

Agreed. ATI has only supported linux recently and their drivers are still not as polished as that of nvidia.

Howdy szfszm,

Unfortunately I neither run the specified RedHat OS nor do I have any Mobily-variants amongst my ATI-boards. Nevertheless, here are a few things, to be considered "2 cents" smile

When you d/l the driver packages from the ATI-site, did you check for the proper XFree-version? I don't know how old your RH-distro is, so maybe it uses a stable but old XFree86 version (prior to 4.3.x).

libGL.so.1 is one of the standard OpenGL-libs that are part of XFree/Mesa, and from the error message you posted it seems that the ATI driver is unhappy with the version of this library. To really narrow down the possible errors it would be fine if you could post _what_ symbol exactly is missing. This way one could determnine what libGLU-version is required.

As some really vague shots I'm adding some hints to what possibly could fix your problem:

* installing a recent version of Mesa/libGLU via RPM-sources

* upgrading XFree86 (in case it _is_ out of date; I would avoid that if anyhow possible smile

good luck with this

szfszm, when I wrote my first post, I failed to mention than since you have the Enterprise addition, and I presume paid for it, Red Hat should give you support on this. I would send their support an email and see if someone there can help you sort it out. Good Luck.

I just spent several weeks researching and resolving my ATI driver issues for Fedora Core 2.

My Radeon 9800 Pro is now cranking out 3D. Very nicely too I'd like to add.

This is the best thread I found on the web in my search. It may not be geared towards RHEL, but there may be some relevent information for you there.

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33757007

Good Luck!