Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
axp

adding xfce to the list

I recently installed (on mandrake 9.1) a window manager named xfce (4). It installed fine, but i need add an option to login into this window manager on the main menu which is shown at startup. I can open the windowmanager up by switching to run level 2 and then going to the installation directory and typing startsfce4, but this is a bit of a hassle.

I followed the instructions on another website and added an entry to /etc/X11/wmsession.d

I added 19Xfce4(with the appropriate date in the file), but this doesnt seem to work. What should I do?

Thanks

I've used XFCE but have never installed it on Mdk 9.1 or Fedora, but have IceWM which can be daunting if you've never done it. Maybe if I tell you how I do it with IceWM so it boots by default as a DE, it will help in figuring out how to do the same for XFCE.

First, edit /etc/X11/dm/Sessions. For Mandrake, I think Sessions is in /etc/X11/gdm, but I really can't remember.

Anyway, whichever one, you'll see something like:

default.desktop kde.desktop gnome.desktop

Copy one of them and rename it IceWM. An easy way is:

cp gnome.desktop icewm.desktop

Then:

vi icewm.desktop (or your favorite editor)

I then change every "GNOME" to "IceWM"

at the bottom of this file, I change gnome-session to icewm-session

save and exit.

This gives me IceWM as a sessions choice in GDM.

Next do the same in /usr/share/apps/switchdesk

All I do is copy one and change all the info to icewm rather than gnome.

Lastly I edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession and add icewm.

look for this section:

Code:
 if [ -x "/usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.$1" ]; then       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.$1";    fi;    case "$1" in    failsafe)       exec -l $SHELL -c "xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0"       ;;    gnome)       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT gnome-session"       ;;   twm)        # fall back to twm       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.twm"       ;;

I then edit it so it will look like this:

Code:
 if [ -x "/usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.$1" ]; then       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.$1";    fi;    case "$1" in    failsafe)       exec -l $SHELL -c "xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0"       ;;    icewm)       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT icewm-session"       ;;    gnome)       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT gnome-session"       ;;   twm)        # fall back to twm       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.twm"       ;;

Oh yes, one las thing. I create file, .Xsession-default in my home directory. It may already be there in Mandrake.

vi .Xsession-default

and edit it from gnome-session to icewm-session

It may be the same procedure for XFCE and it may not. I hope this will at least get you on the right track.