Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hambone

Grant permission access to folder. How?

First off, I'm a totally newbie to Linux/Unix/Ensim.

I have a folder that needs to be accessed by anybody from the internet. I go into my ensim control panel and set the permissions on the folder to:

Permissions

Owner Group Others

Read read read

Write write

Execute

but when I attempt to access the frolder from my web browser I receive the following:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /et/ on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) Server at www.blacksheep-squadron.com Port 80

What am I missing here?

Hambone

Others should have at least execute.

For example, you have a folder [tt]test_dir[/tt] and a [tt]file_inside_test_dir[/tt]:

:: If you only want to access [tt]file_inside_test_dir[/tt] your

[tt]test_dir[/tt] permissions could look something like this [tt]drwx-----x[/tt] (others would only need execute)

:: If you want to be able to open [tt]test_dir[/tt] as well, set permissions to something like this [tt]drwx---r-x[/tt]

:: [tt]file_inside_test_dir[/tt] doesn't need to have execute ([tt]-rw----r--[/tt]) unless it's an executable file (in this case [tt]-rwx---r-x[/tt] would be ok).

Actually it turned out to be an Apache issue. As I stated earlier, my Unix setting we correct. I had to update the Apache file httpd.conf file. Insert 'Options +Indexes' in the <Directory command, thus allowing Directory Browsing. The file persmission of course have to be corret as well.