Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pam.Lo

Untitled thread

Hi

Afte much research and consideration I finally decided to give Mandrake 10 a shot. After downloading the 3 packs I burnt them as image on CD and then reinstalled my notebook original config using my system utility. After that I started the install of Mandrake 10.

During my original utility there was a partition created C and D. I wanted to use C as my windows and D as my linux. With over 16 GB of space in C I didn't figure I would have space problems, especially now when I'm on a learning curb.

Installation went smoothly (or atleast I reckon it did). I followed some good manuals from iraqlug which helped me along the way. I installated a lot of applications on the way seeing that my system had enough (!!!) space to hold them. No Problem so far.

But after install, and coming to prompt I was asked for my user and pass. So I supplied it and it logged in fine. But this is where the problem begins. I typed startx hoping to get to GUI version but then it gave me this error :

hostnam : Unknown host

Using authority file /root/.xauthority

Writing authority file /root/.xauthority

execve failed for /etc/x11/x (errno 13)

xinit : server error

now being a complete novice at this, I am perplexed and my dreams of logging on were shattered (put on hold) until tonight when I go back home and try something which hopefully you guys can suggest.

This is the exact config of my system

http://tcpipinfo.org/frvinfo.php

any help provided is appreciated

Thank you

Pam smile

Pam, I can't tell you what the error means exactly, but I've tried Mandrake 9.1, 9.2 and 10 and have had start up issues with all three. 9.0 on the other hand worked like a charm.

If this gets to be a real problem trying to get Mdk 10 going, you might want to also consider Fedora Core 1.

Don't worry though, you'll have a Linux desktop up and running before you know it. I hope someone here can help you figure it out though.

Good luck! smile

Sounds like a video problem to me. Laptops can be an issue with their video cards, auch as the ATI video cards built into laptops.

Are you logging in as user or root?

When you did the install, you should have been asked for a user name and password, as well as a password to use for root.

I am streching my memory, but try the following;

1. Log in as user and type in startkde

2. If this does not work, change to root user;

Type in su then your root password.

Try then typing in startx

Let us know what happens. especially if you get a message that no usable screen can be found.

hi

Thank dan and danleff.

I sorted it out, yes it was video card. I just reinstalled, was more careful this time round, followed the instructions to the tee and it worked.

But I've cooked myself another problem now. I was trying to edit my XF86Config file, cause that would allow me to install the mouse scroll wheel I had on my logitch mouse. Unfortunately it seems to have messed up the system and now the GNOME is not starting.

When, in the console, I go to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I can't get in cause its says permission denied. I have tried as a user, and as a host...but am so far unsuccessful. If some one can tell me how to get past this, I'd be grateful. Also how to install the wheel the proper way :-)

Quote:
When, in the console, I go to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I can't get in cause its says permission denied.

When you say you go to [tt]/etc/X11/XF86Config-4[/tt].. eh.. what do you exactly mean? Because [tt]XF86Config-4[/tt] is a file. Anyway, if it is a permission problem, just [tt]su[/tt] to root and you should be ok.

Pam, to configure your mouse, become root and run..

mousedrake [enter]

It's hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure it will also run when not in Xwindows.

Run it as carefully as you did for the video card! wink

That should sort out your mouse, and write the proper entries into your XF86Config-4.

Then getting your Gnome desktop back shouldn't be a problem. If this doesn't fix it, let us know..

Originally posted by nebulus:

Quote:
Quote:
When, in the console, I go to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I can't get in cause its says permission denied.

When you say you go to [tt]/etc/X11/XF86Config-4[/tt].. eh.. what do you exactly mean? Because [tt]XF86Config-4[/tt] is a file. Anyway, if it is a permission problem, just [tt]su[/tt] to root and you should be ok.

i tried opening the file to edit it in the console. Cause I was going to revert the original configurations. But it said I didn't have permissions. I went in as root, so I didn't see the need of using the su command.

Also thanks Dan again, I'll try the mousedrake command and see if this works.

Thanks

Pam