Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fantom5497

Newbie, Sagem Fast 800 modem, ADSL, won't work!

Hi,

I am completely new to Linux and have downloaded and installed Mandrake 10.0 from ISO. It came on 3 CD's and installed perfectly. However it won't 'see' my Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem.

As i said i am a newbie and apart from the odd 'ls', 'cd' and maybe an odd 'chmod', i know little about linux. I am not a Windows or PC novice, just Linux.

I have seen some stuff about mgmt.o and a really tekky solution, but i couldn't manage to do it. I did check the com patibility for it on this site and someone says it does work with Mandrake 9.1, so i would have assomed mandrake 10 would see it?

Anyway, could someone please explain how to solve this i feel really limited by having no internet access in Linux. Would changing to another Linux version help?

Thanks in advance and remember when answering that i'm a newbie. I can follow instructions provided i can understand them!

P.S.: My email is fantom5497@yahoo.co.uk and thanks again

According to this, your modem should work fine with Linux.

Have you contacted their support to see what they say? They clearly list that their modem works with Linux, so they should help you. Are there any directions or drivers included with the modem that have to do with Linux?

This thread may shed some light.

Beyond this, I'm afraid I'd just be guessing. I've never had any experience with USB modems at all.

I hust got up and have to go to work, but i'll try your suggestions when i get home and let you know how i get on.

Thanks Dapper Dan, youre my hero (unless it doesn't work).

Hi again

Followed the instructions and got as far as ./Install_All linux-2.6.3-7mdk. That came up with errors, so i left out the 2.6.3-7mdk and that did the same. Although it did create the link? What am i doing wrong? I even replaced those files i was supposed to?

Can you please help, i really want this to work, because i am trying to be less dependant on windoze.

Thanks, Richard...

Two possible issues as I see it. One is that the driver package requires the kernel source to be installed on the system. I bet the Mandrake installation process does not do this, unless you specifically told it to do so when you installed Mandrake. This can be solved easily.

The second thing is that the drivers seem to be built based on the 2.4 kernel series, not the 2.6 series.

I would contact the company and ask about support in the 2.6 kernel series, since the install documentation does not list Mandrake 10 as supported. I would assume that the package has not been tested with the upgraded kernel series in Mandrake 10.

So, I would e-mail them first and ask about this. If they reply that it does work in the 2.6 kernel series, then you probably need to install the kernel source package. we can walk you through this.

Hi,

I followed the instructions to the letter including the replacement of the files from the tiscali CD. But on the driver install (./Install_All linux-2.6.3-7mdk) the shell came up with errors about no such folder?

I then created the folder (linux-2.6.4-7mdk) and got errors again.

I then tried (./Install_All linux) this created a 'link'? called linux@ ?

but the bloody thing still won't work?

I use mandrake 10.0, could you email the file that the ./Install command creates, so that i could possibly manually place it? I am really desperate to get linux online, so that i can finally uninstall windoze once and for all!

If you could help in any way, i will be very grateful. I am completely new to Linux and i am really struggling to understand the hardware setup. I mean is all the hardware setup this complex?

I will email Sagem as soon as i finish this.

Thanks in advance,

Richy Browne.

danleff, if I am remembering correctly, doesn't Mdk 10 come with an option to install and boot the 2.4 kernel? If that is the case, maybe it might be the path of least resistance for fantom5497 to install and run it, if the driver was built for the 2.4 kernel. At least it may get him on the Internet faster so he can research his modem for 2.6.

I looked at this and yes, you can install kernel 2.4.25 as an option.

The other point is that to install the modem driver, the kernel sources must be installed as well. The modem install script apparently uses the kernel source to build and create the proper environment and directories that he needs, If the sources are not installed, then the modem script fails.

He can pop in the install CD and once the prompt comes up, hit the F2 key, then type in alt1 (then hit the enter key).

This should run and install the 2.4 kernel on the system.

He should also know where the install partition is located, so he can choose the proper partition to re-install to.

Once the system is up, then the kernel source rpm needs to be installed.

Of course, I would assume that the kernel source package can be installed during the distro install, as long as he picks this package, during the install packages process.

Once the kernel source is installed on the system, the install script should run for the modem drivers.

I no longer have Mandrake 10 on a box, so I'm kind of groping in the dark here. Can he not install the 2.4 kernel using the Mandrake software installer? If he can, would it also take care of the kernel source?

I just seem to remember seeing the 2.4 kernel once when I was fooling around with the software manager.

I'm thinking of re-installing Mandrake 10 tonight alongside my Fedora Core 1 install so I can see first hand what I'm trying to remember!

If I do, I'm going to check out installing that 2.4 kernel, and see if I can build that driver.

I might have a scotch or two tonight so there may be mixed results... wink

Whew! Have I been through the ringer tonight! I installed Mdk 10 alongside Fedora Core one. The Mdk partition manager seemed to work ok, but when I chose Grub over Lilo I think that's where things went crazy! All I got at startup was "grub-" and that was it! I tried repairing using Kanotix. I transfered my old /boot file to replace the one created by Mandrake 10, and all seemed to be OK, until, I got errors on /home that could not be repaired! What a dilema! I finally had to completely re-install Fedora Core one! Thank god my /home partition is still there and intact!

I'll have to completely re-configure everything, but at least my /home partition is still there!

Time fo scotch!!

Dan, save some of that scotch for me!

I looked at Mandrake. It seems that the kernel source package is not included for 2.4.25 in the install cd´s. Only for the 2.6 series.

I tried to install the drivers on kernel 2.5 with the source installed. All kinds of errors, as I suspected.

I found the source for kernel 2.4.25 and am downloading it now.

Urpmi was very slow and I aborted (over 2 hours on the server, using broadband).

I´ll let you all know how it goes.

OK, I got kernel 2.4.25 up and running. I did find a location for the source kernel RPM. The modem driver DOES install on this kernel version. Of course, I do not have one to test to see if it actually works.

Hi,

Before i begin i would like to thank you both for all the help you have given me. Without it i would have given up and gone back to Windoze long ago. You don't realize how much i appreciate this.

I need to know how to install the 2.4.25 kernel and connect up. I need STEP-BY-STEP instructions as i am really new to Linux. I need instructions right from a new MDK10 install to the adsl connection and the homepage loading!

I am currently downloading Fedora 2 to install onto my second HDD. Just to get a look at it!

If all goes well it'll be see-ya! Windows and hello Linux for the forseeable future!

Thanks again,

Richard Browne...

Hi Richard. May I call you Richard? smile

Here's the thing. What you are experiencing is being on the outside of the cutting edge of the Linux envelope. That isn't a very sound place for a new Linux user to be.

All of us have the tendancy to believe that newer is always better. And while there is truth in that, it is also true that you can easily find yourself in a position like what you are now in.

I have looked at Fedora Core 2, and though it looks very promising, I don't believe it is ready for me to use on a daily basis just yet. That's why I'm still using Core 1 with the 2.4 kernel.

There are two apps I need that are not yet available with the 2.6 kernel. One is Winex3/Cedega for running Windows games, and the other is Win4Lin. Both will soon catch up with 2.6, and Fedora will continue to improve. Until they do though, I'm sticking with Fedora Core 1.

If you want to get that modem running, and want a much easier time with apps and hardware, I would reccomend using Fedora Core 1.

An added advantage would be, I am VERY familiar with it, and will be glad to help out if you need it. smile

Hi,

Yes, you can call me Richy.

and i will download Fedora 1 and install that in the next few days.

I should have it by maybe Tuesday as its the 12th holidays over in N. Ireland and everything grinds to a halt.

and then we can begin the process of getting online. I suppose the latest version of Linux is like the beta versions of windows? eg. "Its very nice and shiny, but i'm not touching it til the word beta disappears!"

I thought that the newest version would have the newest drivers for the newest hardware, and thus would install automatically? Obviously not. Bear in mind, this time last week i hadn't seen a single linux OS. I just stumbled across LinuxISO.org and downloaded the latest mandrake10, cos i read it was newbie-friendly.

Anyway my emails there if you need it and i'll post another reply when Fedora 1 is up'n'runnin.

Thanks,

Richy...

Did you go through the process of building it again? Tell you what, I'll try to build it on my system, and tell you what I did...

Richy, I'm sorry to say I tried to compile that thing and the more I looked into it the more confusing it was for me. When I finally tried to do a make, it spat out about a zillion errors! I'm afraid it's gonna take someone with way more experience than me to get this thing going for you.

The good news is, with Fedora Core 1, you now have a 2.4 kernel from which to build it, rather than trying to make it work with 2.6.

From the sheer volume of posts I'm seeing on the Internet about users trying to get this thing operational, it appears to me that the company was somewhat less than truthful in advertising that their modem is such a fast and simple solution for all OSs.

This is typical of the many posts I've found...

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php...p;forum=1&9

And there are many more!

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying I'm smart enough to know, that I'm NOT smart enough to figure it out in a reasonable period of time.

Did you buy this new? If so, I'd fire off a request for support from the company and demand they help you. After all, you paid your money, and they say they support this modem!. If they won't help you, then I'd ship it back, and include a nasty letter.

It wouldn't have taken them very much time to build a module or driver for this modem that would have been easier to figure out and install, but then we run into this type situation a lot as Linux users.

There ARE other ADSL modems on the market that will work right out of the box with Linux. I'm very sorry I couldn't help more..

to be certain it's said here and not assumed: just installing the kernel sources isn't

usually enough by itself. You need to do a little prep after installing the sources

before you're ready to build your own drivers (kernel modules).

from the documentation:

[tt]2.1.1. Installation on Linux Mandrake 9.1

-----------------------------------------

Important : Mandrake 9.1 integrates a native driver for SAGEM USB ADSL modems.

This driver is compatible ONLY with F@st800 modems using an Eagle I chipset.

If - you're using a more recent modem (based on Eagle II or higher),

- you don't know the version of the chipset used,

- you're using an ADSL over ISDN modem (SAGEM F@st 840),

----> you absolutely need to install a newer driver (version v2.0.5 or higher)

and you cannot use Mandrake 9.1 wizards to setup the ADSL connection.

In release 2.0.5, the installation script of the SAGEM F@st800-840 modem automatically

deactivates the native ADSL module of Mandrake 9.1 by renaming the file "adiusbadsl.o.gz"

into "adiusbadsl.old.o.gz".

It is recommended, unless you use Mandrake 9.1's native driver, not to activate the

"automatic connection at start-up" feature proposed by Mandrake 9.1.

2.1.2. Installation on Linux SuSE 9.0

-------------------------------------

Important : with SuSE 9.0, please go to the kernel sources directory (cd /usr/src/linux)

and type "make cloneconfig && make dep" before compiling the driver.

[/tt]

In most cases you must locate the config file used to build your kernel and copy it to

/usr/src/linux/.config and then run "make oldconfig && make dep".

"make cloneconfig && make dep" is appropriate for distros which save a copy of your

kernel config in /boot .

From the sagem website:

-ADSL for everyone

-A truly universal solution

-All OS supported

-The easiest installation and support possible

Richy, I'd ask their support about "easiest installation and support possible."

Originally posted by martouf:

Quote:

In most cases you must locate the config file used to build your kernel and copy it to

/usr/src/linux/.config and then run "make oldconfig && make dep".

"make cloneconfig && make dep" is appropriate for distros which save a copy of your

kernel config in /boot .

While this is true for Suse (as per the instructions), once the Mandrake kernel-source RPM was installed for me, the driver package compiled fine.

The issue then is what Dapper Dan found, getting the driver to actually work in Mandrake.

I agree, it looks like the company was not very truthful in expressing the complexity of the steps after installing the driver itself.

Hi,

So the verdict is 'send it packin'?

When you say some modems work straight outta the box, which ones, i mean whats my best option from here? I need constant internet access, so sending the modem back is out of the question, For now, til i get a new one, then i can unplug it and send it packin.

Until then i'm gonna start a thread to get some people with similar problems to put a little pressure on Sagem or Tiscali or both. I have seen a lot of people having the same problem.

Now i need help with my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP, so see you on the next thread!

And thanks again to everyone who typed a few words for me.

Richy Browne...

[Linux Idiot]

Richy, have a look at this page. The Netgear ADSL modem/router looks pretty promising. We use a regular Netgear router combined with a seperate ADSL modem at my business and it works very well. Netgear seems to be on the ball with Linux. Just to be safe, I'd stay away from anything USB. Let me be clear: You have ADSL by way of a cat 5 cable? If so, I think you could use just about any network interface card in combination with a router and ADSL modem.

Which makes ne think: You say you're already using this Sagem ADSL modem in conjunction with Windows XP and everything is working right? Does the Sagem possibly have a cat5 slot "out" somehere? If so, it would probably work if you ran cat 5 from your modem to a router, and then to your box. Do you know anyone who has a Netgear or Linksys wired, (or wireless) router you could borrow? Many more will work with Linux, it's just I know these two will.

I think fantom is being quite intrepid and has installed linux on the same system as

what was running winXP and the Sagem ADSL modem.

DDan what you're suggesting is what I'd recommend: use the winXP box for stable connectivity

and add linux to a 'lab rat' system connected over a network to the winXP box.