Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gurmit21

Sound Card Remains Dead !!!

Dear Danleff, thanks for you assisatance. Infact, i am using PCQLinux 2004 Linux. This is a Linux complied by one Magazine Company. PCQLinux 2004 is based on Fedora and RH Linux 9.0. I mean this is a hybrid version by merging both Fedora and RHLinux 9.0 by Magazine. I got it free with a Magazine. It gives you a facility of 3 Kernel .

1. PCQLinux NewDawn 2.6.xxx

2. PCQLinux NewDawn 2.4. (OpenMosix)

3. 2.4.xxx( nptl)

( ( ( These three options i get at BOOT time ) ) )

When i get my system intialize on 2.4 ( openmosix). The sound card is successfully detected and works very well. But when i initialize 2.6.xx Kernel. The problem occurs i mentioned in my last topic.

Let me give you the details of my system.

AMD Processor...

ASUS Mother board ( Model : -A7N266-VM) with nvidia Grahics and nvidia Audio chip

...I will wait for you next reply perhaps you might be sort out my problem this time.

If you know,Please also refer me the URL of the site from i can download the latest Kernel Veriosn in .rpm format.

Thanks.....

regards......gurmit21

Please stick with one topic, so we can follow the information that we need to reply, Choose new reply, not new topic and this will allow the thread to continue.

Any reason why you do not want to use the 2.4 kernel at boot? If this works with your hardware, I would stick with it. Once you get comfortable with the distro in general, you can experiment later on.

Your motherboard has common issues with onboard sound and NIC, as I believe that it is an nForce chipset. It seems that the version of the 2.4 kernel available is supporting the hardware. I would not attempt to upgrade, unless you have a good reason to do so at this point. The 2.6 kernels use slightly differnt modules to load at boot and this may be the source of the problem.

I will look at the distro specs. later on, but is it running off a cd completely (live cd version), or is it a hard drive install. I bet the 2.4 kernel is using the standard audio (OSS) and kernel 2.6 is trying to use Alsa, which may not be set up on the distro correctly, if at all.

Is your onboard NIC working?

Thanks for your considerations about my problem. you are correct. I should stick with 2.4 in which all hardware works fine, particularly, my sound card.

But perhaps i forgot to mention in my last topic that.....In 2.4 Kernel, in which my sound card and other hardwares work fine, freezes[ Hangs ]completely, when i plug any USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 Device Like DVD Burner, Irda Port, Kodak Digi Cam etc. into system.

Dear Danleff, I tell you the problems i face, from beginning...

(Kernel) (Incomaptiable Hardware)

Kernel 2.6.xxx Sound Card does not work

Kernel 2.4.22.xx USB 2 & USB 1 devices does not work

Infact i have Four Devices on USB 1 and on USB 2 i.e. Kodak Digit Cam,Logitech Web Cam, IrDa Port etc any of which when i plug in While working in Kernel 2.4.xxx my system hangs ( Freezes)completely. I have no problem in working in Kernel 2.4.xx according to your suggestions but my all above mentioned gadgets would be useless.

In Kernel 2.6.xx , when i plug in any of the devices, the system does not hang. But First, i am unable to mount any of these devices, Second , you know already, SOUND CARD does not Work.

Now i think , i have made my self absolutely, clear to you.

Now i want you to suggest me that how can i get all the devices and sound card work.

Thanks........regards..

gurmit21

bold textbold text

I took a quick look at the distro page. From what I gathered, this distro needs a bit of tweaking to get things to work. I think that you might might want to look at the tech forums and look around to see if this distro will be usable to you.

USB devices, in your case wanting to hotplug (plug in the hardware after the system is already up) seems limited in this distro. In gerneral, this has been a weakness of many distros, until very recently. In terms of the sound issue, look here.

I number of the USB drivers (modules in Linux lingo) do not seem to be compiled directly in the stock kernel. So, this requires what is called compiling the kernel to have support for many of the hardware devices that you speak of. Bouncing back and forth between kernels will not be helpful, so you may want to look at which kernel is offering your the best support for your devices (hardware) and work from there to get the other hardware working.

In any case, let us know what you think and feel free to ask questions when you get stuck. while this forum may not have all the answers relevent to this distro, we can offer general quidance and advice.

I would also post on the forums there, as they seem to have a number of helpful folks there that may be able to offer you more specific advice, relevent to that distro.

hi, So far i am far away from my problem regarding Sound Card. Every day is boring without music in linux. Please any body sort out my problem..... I am using 2.6.2 Kernel. My system does not detect my on board sound card.

Is this ok....if i install required Modules my self. In Kernel...2.4.xxx in which the same sound card on the same system runs fine, installed the following three sound modules...itself

1. i810_audio

2. ac97_codec

3. soundcore.

Will this work if i install these modules myself.

Or suggest my any other in reach way.

thanks.

regards.

gurmit21

As far as your sound card problems go, you could save yourself a lot of headaches by getting an off the shelf SoundBlaster, however, if you do, check here to make sure it's compatible as a few aren't. Life is to short to endlessly fight with hardware when using Linux. smile