Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

media replacement

Morning all,

I have an interesting situation to have discussed.

I own a copy of Age Of Empires II Gold edition (original and expansion) however I appear to have lost the expansion pack (Conquerers) cd in moving house, thus being inadvertant loss or damage.

Now I have the original case with the set serial number and CD-Key on my desk and my question is, since I have legally purchased a license to use the software can I effectively ask the distributors to send me a replacement CD free of charge since I already own a license to use the software? Even if I had to pay postage, I should be able to get a replacement as it's not the medium I own, but a license to use the software. I mean the EULA always states that we don't own the software, but just a license to use it. However I can't use it without the CD. I could install a no-cd crack but I could not re-install without the media.

On that point, I purchased a copy of the Special Edition 3 DVD "Back to the Future" pack about 2 years ago. Now the first disk has been scratched (I've never played it when drunk so I don't know how) so I'm wondering the same thing. I don't own the film, but I do own a licensed copy for personal entertainment but cannot enjoy it due to a radial scratch. Can I ask for a replacement disk? After all, I own a license, not the film.

What do people think?

Here's what I got:

Hello Felix,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft regarding replacement media.

Available replacement media can be purchased for a fee of AU$41.75 (including postage, handling & GST).

To be able to order replacement media the software needs to be registered with Microsoft or you may be required to provide a proof of purchase. Please contact Microsoft Customer Service on 13 20 58 for further assistance with this matter. Hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm.

Kind regards,

Microsoft Employee X39745

Ha, guess I'll be burning someone else's copy (after all, I own a legal LICENSE). It would be cheaper to buy it from eBay. That's where I originally got it, and it was even in the original shrink wrapping.

Not sure on the current USD/AUD conversions, but it sure seems less expensive to purchase the "Gold" package with AOE2 and The Conquerors, but as you said, you do have an existing license, and had you made a backup copy (which according to US law) you're entitled to, you'd be fine anyway.