Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tgg

Intergrated SP4 & IE6 question..............

I created a windows 2000 sp4 cd, but is there a procedure in intergrating IE6 the same way SP4 works? If so can U guys give me the instructions thax.

I got this link from another user at another forum http://www.3iii.dk/computer/W2Kboot.htm#A4

well this part i kinda get it the part i dont get is whats the extension of an batch file is it .bat? and when i create this file where in the contents of windows 2000 i put this batch file.

Also i dont get it how does this line know to install ie6: To run an installation silently, use a command like this in a batch file

MsiExec /I D:\Example.msi /qn

Just read the instructions below i just dont get it.

Silent install (automatic and unattended install) of ie. IE6, Media Player

or any *.MSI based file

A silent, or unattended, installation is one that presents no user interface.

To run an installation silently, use a command like this in a batch file

MsiExec /I D:\Example.msi /qn

Note: The /q option specifies the "level" of user interface to display, and the n specifies that no interface should be displayed. Msiexec.exe is located in the system32 folder on Windows 2000 and XP.

The best way I have found of implementing IE6 patches into the base install is to use the IEAK. This is supposed to download the latest and greatest from the Evil Empire and incorporate it into your distribution. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the latest patches according to the MS Baseline Security Analyzer. As a fix for this I disassembled the IEMIL_1 - IEMIL_4 cab files in the downloaded directory of the IEAK. Then, I inserted the correct files with their associated security catalogues and compressed it back into a cab file. Same for MAILNEWS and WEB cabs for LookOut! Express. Now the unattended installation halts when installing LookOut! Express and informs me that files in the OE "5" installation are not signed. I think I can work around this by specifying a different driver signing policy when the installation starts and going back to the driver signing policy at the end. However, I don't know how I'm going to diagnose and correct the following error associated with my deployment:

Event 49 Ftdisk Error - Error configuring page file for crash dump.

The page file starts at 1.5x the physical memory in the machine and caps at 2x. This should be plenty for a crash dump. MS references a fix for this back in SP4. My deployment is post SP4 and includes all of the hotfixes released. The files noted in the SP4 fix are Ntkrnlmp.exe, Ntkrnlpa.exe, Ntkrpamp.exe and Ntoskrnl.exe. MS gives a file version of 5.0.2195.5505. I'm at 5.0.2195.6902. The version of Ftdisk.sys I'm deploying is the same version that works on other machines without this error 49.

Good luck in trying to patch everything up, it has been an ongoing project for at least 6 mo. with me. I have revised my original goal. Now, I just want to patch everything deployed by the original W2K CD with the addition of IE6PostSP1.

If you come across any leads on the ftdisk error 49 thing, please pass them along.

Cheers,

Overworked

[Edited by overworked on 2004-08-12 21:22:20]