Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ravalox

nforce2, onboard audio doesn't work on fedora core 2

I've got the asus flavor on nforce2 mobo, A7N8X. Anyways, I download the tar files fron nvidia's website and they don't even compile? What is going on here? I can get the nvidia nic going, but not the audio or the 3com card?

danleff is very familiar with nforce problems, he should be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't help...

Lot's of different opinions on configuring nForce chipset motherboards, but the A7N8X continues to generate posts.

First, we would need to know what distro of Linux that you are running and the version. Secondly, what kernel you are running on the system.

One thing that I remember is that the audio driver works with alsa under the i810_audio driver.

There are two NICS on the system, the onboard nForce one and a 3com. What I have found from readers is that they could get one or the other working, depending on the distro they are using.

In terms of compiling the nForce drivers, this would depend on the distro that you are using and if you have development packages installed that are needed to compile the package from source.

Depending on how much linux knowledge that you have, would determine which route that you might want to take, compiling drivers, or having a distro work with most of the hardware "out of the box."

Let us know what you think and what you are comfortable doing and trying.

Danleff...

I have a similar problem... my sound card doesnt work... i notice that it seemed to detect my logitec usb camera as the sound card, because it has a built in microphone... how could i configure this so that it uses the sound... i believe if i unplug the camera, the sound works...

thanks...

first, and it seems simple, but often overloooked, make sure that the sound is turned up all the way in kmix or aumix. If you have alsa as the sound modules, then type in as root user in a console alsamixer. Make sure that the graph bars are turned up.

If you are using Fedora Core 2, type in, again as root user, in the console, system-config-soundcard.

This should give you a small dialog window that will show your soundcard, if configured. Play the test sound sample and see if you get sound.

Or you can go to start-->System Tools-->Info center-->sound

...and see if the sound card is listed there.

One other problem occurs with the bios. If you have an onboard sound card and also a PCI sound card, the onboard sound needs to be turned off in the bios, for the add-on card to work. Also, often PNP OS (in the bios) should be turned off when using linux. Often these issues are the cause of sound problems.

If sound is not detected on your system, post what sound card (or motherboard) that you have (if this is onboard sound) and we will try to help.

Motherboards with the nForce chipset are new and the onboard sound and NIC often are troublesome. You can expect that only the newest released distro versions have support for such hardware out of the box, since most of this hardware was released after the distro version was. Otherwise, you will need to compile drivers or kernel support directly for the newest hardware.