Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jim22378

Might and Magic VII under XP

Hi guys,I have Might and Magic VII and after I installed it on my computer and double click on the desktop icon the screen went black for 2 seconds and then it threw me back to desktop,I noticed that if I put at the graphics option software the game runs fine,but if I check Hardware the problem remains.

My computer is:

P4 2.4Ghz

512MB RAM DDR

GeForce4ti4200 with AGP 8X

Windows XP Pro SP1 English

DirectX 9.0b

I tried Direct X 8.1 but the problem remains.What can I do?I need help.I used the newest graphics drivers and some older ones

To get MM8 working on XP, try the following (written by Manalishi66 in this thread: http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread25973-1.html)

>>I found a workaround for Might & Magic 8 that worked on my XP system. Try the following....

Start - Run (run a program)

regedit (loads the registry editor)

Search - "New World Computing" (search for the NWC string)

Make sure the Key found is "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\New World Computing\Day of the Destroyer\1.0"

Change the key "3DSoundAvailable" to be '0'

Change the key "Disable3DSound" to be '1'

Exit regedit

RIGHT click on the icon for MM8 on your desktop

Select Properities

Under program name, change "mm8setup.exe" to be "mm8.exe"

Apply, and quit

You're Done, you should now be able to load and play the game, but without 3D sound (you will have standard sound)! <<

Works well on my PC.

If you cannot install MM8, try to copy all files at the CD to a folder on your Harddisk and install it from this folder.

Greetings

Rainer

Coincidentally, I just installed my Millenium Edition today and wanted to play MM7. It looks like it's a Direct X problem. When I ran through the installer, it checked my system requirements and for Direct X it listed 6 as the required version. Under the "what I have column" it just said Direct X and Failed in red. I'm running 9.0b, so I'm guessing that MM7 is old enough that it's not recognizing 9.0b as a compatible version. You mentioned that you went back to 8.1, so I guess if you're comfortable going way back to 6, you would be fine. I think we probably both have the horsepower to run it otherwise though:

My machine:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe

Athlon XP 2500+

GeForce FX 5200 128Mb

512 Mb Kingston RAM

Windows XP Pro SP1

Direct X 9.0b

pc_window.JPG

Hi,

there is a configuration screen where you can deselect HardwareAcceleration for grafics and sound. After that it worked pretty well for me.

Bago

According to Bago's post, it sounds like it's using DirectX for acceleration, and using software rendering solves the problem. Note that generally speaking, using software rendering on any game will decrease the video quality and increase system processing overhead, but at any rate, it's good to be working.

And for the record, I don't have this game, or any of the MM series, but what I said should apply to a large number of games.

I think it a problem with Direct X. The game does't recognize DX9. I installed Win 98 on another partition with DX6 and the programm runs like a train. Maybe it dos also on XP but i needed DX9 on XP so I made a new partition with win98

Hy Jim 22378!

I have Might and Magic VII. When I installed this program to my computer I have the same problem. Try this:

Right click the Might and Magic VII icon on your desktop. Click on Properties. Next click on compatible. Then you have to change the compatible to Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5.)

Then click on Start/Programs/3DO/Might and Magic VII/Might and Magic VII Configuration Utility. You change:

Window: Fullscreen, and Video: Software 3D.

Then launch Might and Magic.

Good Luck! smile

I had got the same problem!

Choose compatible Windows NT 5.0 (Service Pack)

And the Configuration Utility Choose Window: Fullscreen

Video: Software 3D

(copy from related topic)

hi there

i've tried all advises from this forum and nothin' works... if I try to run m&m7 (win XP DR9) no matter with what method im getting at first smack error message then direct draw error mes. and then the internal error mes. and all i get is black screen - the same is on win98...any idea what's goin' on?

well, i installed mm7 and it works, for the most part. anyone know how i can slow it down so its not going lightning speed? i remember there was a way in dos..but i've forgotten it since. any help is good, thanks!