Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

Chkdsk failed and now won't quit running and failing on bootup.

Went to do a normal error check from windows XP home edition, just installed today, right clicked c drive > properties > tools > error check > checked both boxes > OKed checkdisk on reboot.

when it rebooted it said it cannot access the volume. I tried disabling viruscheck in BIOS and a couple other things, it didn't help. Now I would like to get it to run sucessfully or at least stop trying.

So far I've found these but the first doesn't help, and the second doesn't seem to apply, though I'm not certain.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235771

It doesn't give me the exact error listed in the top link, but it very similar.

Turns out I cannot boot to safe mod or command prompt. Eventually, the HD light stays on, but nothing happens, even after waiting a while.

Any ideas? Everthing seems to work fine in Windows XP home on when it gets there, and it's fresh off a new formatted reinstall of XP home. Boot sector was even scanned with latest NAV 2004 with updates, before and after reformat, and shows no viruses. Will run a complete scan, though I'm doubting the previous viruses lingered.

Any ideas?

First of all, you rock!

That was one quick response, and so far, an accurate one.

The fixmbr said the MBR was messed up, then said it fixed it after i said to try.

Still trying to figure it out, but I figured I'd update as quick as I could and thank you for your help thus far as quick as I could, seeing as your response was so fast and helpful.

Thanks!

I should post more soon.

Hmmm...

Fixmbr and fixboot combined seemed to do what they were supposed to do, but the the regular chkdsk would still not scan the drive.

Strange thing is, I even decided to do a slow POST, but noticed that sometimes it would quickpost. Seems to only want to do a slow post when changes are freshly saved to the bios (even though they were not changed since last time)...

Does anyone know if the above symptom is the result of a failing BIOS battery, a corrupt bios, neither, or both?

Am going to check what version it is, and see if there is an update. Should post soon.

Oh, yeah, and the RC chkdsk showed errors on the drive.

So it's looking like I'll try to reformat and chkdsk asap afterward to see what becomes of it.

Still need to decide what to do about bios before bothering though...

That's the weird thing.

It has always booted up fine, at least to windows.

The problem only showed it's ugly head after I happened to do a chkdsk (glad I did) and it wouldn't do it.

Still boots fine to XP, still fails the chkdsk, still continues to load XP afterword.

Still glad, though, because now I know the MBR was (maybe still is)? messed up, and possibly the BIOS as well.

I haven't yet seen this bios type vary on slow/quick bootup except on this particular system... Very strange.

Am considering flashing a new bios, the old one is about 2 years old, and there is a new (a few actually) bios versions only about a year old...

Think I should put off any bios flashing until I reformat and checkdisk?

Well, reinstalled the OS after a format, and it ran the scandisk all the way through. Should I check for a log, or does it stay on the scandisk screen if there is an error?

I'll run scandisk again once all the drivers and updates are installed, just in case.

Once again, thank you so much for all your help.

Still don't have the problem solved. Will buy a battery sometime today.

First, I'll say what I've done thus far, then I'll respond to your previous quote.

Reinstalled windows (each time with a standard reformat). Did errorcheck immediately after install, and it ran after reboot fine.

Figured maybe the reinstall made things OK. Wrong.

Updated everything, installed office and NAV2004 updated NAV (glad I have DSL).

Tried scndsk upon reboot (not RC) and it couldn't access the drive. "Cannot open volume for direct access" with other text not showing any alphanumeric stuff, and not really saying much else. Can get exact quote if you need.

Decided to format 2 partitions, one © 2gb, the second 34 gb (D) for the XP install, this on a 38 GB drive.

Standard format on C and D (NTFS) then windows install finished.

Tried error check in windows on C drive, it ran through fine.

Repair console chkdsk said one or more errors.

fixmbr said mbr was funky or invalid, so I had it fix it, it said it did.

Rebooted to windows.

Rebooted, fixmbr said MBR was funky or invalid again.

Rebooted to windows, prompted chkdsk on boot

chkdsk on boot ran fine.

A note before I forget, some windows screens (black windows XP logo on bootup (in earler install) and some screens that are mostly light blue (XP setup screen (not dark blue one), chkdsk on bootup screen) show one or two one-pixel width lines running horizontally and normally if there are two, they are close to eachother. usually randomly well saturated collors.

Question: In my mobo manual, it shows a CLRTC with 3 pins and a jumper on 1 and 2 with short being 2 amd 3. I'm not seeing these pins, though I do see CLRTC lettering on the mobo, though it is not readily apparent (to me anyway) where there supposed to be. (manual mobo revision pictured is 1.00 mine is 1.03 Asus A7N266-VM if that rings any bells)

Need I clear the CMOS before replacing the battery? or should I just try the battery first and not bother to see if it helps? I ask this because once with a new mobo I was having system instability, and a CMOS clear resolved the issue, though prior saves of changes or saves of non-changes did not resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlecStaar:

Ok, it's getting 'interesting': Does it issue ANY errors along the lines of "Disk is locked by another process" type errs?

Nope, just boring old "Cannot open volume for direct access"

Quote:

AHA! Ok, BOOTTIME chkdsks' fail on you... this can be looked over & fixed in one area in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

(Look over the right-hand side pane entry of BootExecute - this is where it runs from! If you have to? Set it for boottime checkdisk via DOS prompt command chkdsk /f C: for instance if it fails again & rightclick on it via regedit.exe & use the export command to send what is in it to a .reg textfile you can copy & paste the content of it for us to look over here)

Currently chkdsk is running on bootup. Should I do this anyway, or should I try to upgrade everthing to see if it will prevent bootup chkdsk? Or should I try my best to get things working and only do this if it should happen (LOL) to occur that bootup chkdsk cannot access volume?

Quote:
Originally posted by AlecStaar:It is... perhaps replacing the CMOS battery is in order. Cheap & easy to do!

Will do.

Quote:

P.S.=> On your second post I missed - (had to sleep), yes, any logs you have? Look them over... EventViewer logs too, never hurts to check those for errors the system might post! apk

Ok, here's one for you. The last scan of the HD (D) drive (keep in mind the current D drive does not span the first or last 2 GB of the drive)

Code:
Event Type:	InformationEvent Source:	WinlogonEvent Category:	NoneEvent ID:	1001Date:		6/19/2004Time:		12:50:53 PMUser:		N/AComputer:	COMPUTERDescription:Checking file system on D:The type of the file system is NTFS.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk.                         Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.Cleaning up 19 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 19 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 19 unused security descriptors.CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...File data verification completed.CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...Free space verification is complete.  35005603 KB total disk space.    929104 KB in 8606 files.      2116 KB in 551 indexes.         0 KB in bad sectors.     76231 KB in use by the system.     65536 KB occupied by the log file.  33998152 KB available on disk.      4096 bytes in each allocation unit.   8751400 total allocation units on disk.   8499538 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:e0 23 00 00 d0 23 00 00 64 28 00 00 00 00 00 00  .#...#..d(......38 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 72 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  8.......r.......48 fa 7b 00 00 00 00 00 b6 dc 52 06 00 00 00 00  H.{.......R.....8e bd 9f 00 00 00 00 00 4a 96 a1 1e 00 00 00 00  ........J.......68 8c 1f 4e 02 00 00 00 a6 4e 60 7b 02 00 00 00  h..N.....N`{....99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 9e 21 00 00 00 00 00 00  ..6......!......00 40 b5 38 00 00 00 00 27 02 00 00 00 00 00 00  .@.8....'.......Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any other logs that might help?

Thanks again for you're help. I'm off to get the battery.

Quote:
Since you could boot up, but still showed a messed up bootsector?

Recommendation

DO A VIRUS SCAN, with GOOD antivirus (recommend AntiVir, free & is right up there with Norton AntiVirus in tests) that is up to date!

before (or possibly after) I even did the chkdsk after the first reinstall, NAV2004 was completely installed, completely updated (ran liveupdate repeatedly until it actually said all was up to date), and did a complete system scan showing no detected viruses/viri? wink

as far as the tools go, it's a samsung. I'll check their site for HD tools when I get back from picking up the battery... shouldn't take long.

Oh, I wouldn't think the HD would have any oldschool MBR stuff on it, as it was a brand new drive and has only had XP home installed on it.

Hmm... First I'm going to answer generally... Then post specifics after I get to them...

The error on the SOL link has a much more specific reference to specifics. Mind just had I think just 4 lines to the effect of

Windows has started chkdsk (something like that)

Cannot open volume for direct access.

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Windows has finished checking the disk.

Perhaps out of order

There's no IFSUTIL or status return. not sure if that matters...

Anyway, don't worry about breaking my heart, I'd already found a similar link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439 (think I reffered to it above) before I decided I needed to post here.

Also, yes, I have thought about the virus protection in the bios. I've tried disabling it before for the reboot chkdsk and other scans, but it didn't appear to help. Then again, if the BIOS is buggy, it might not have went through... Perhaps now I'll see if I can fully update it and repeat the error with and/or without the bios virus protection enabled. Will try to post other

Will try to respond to your other quotes specifically soon.

OK, just so I don't forget stuff, I'm going to post when I think of something.

I'm not trying to spam or bump the list, but I just figure it's easier for you to know what you have and haven't already read if you don't have to check old posts for new edits.

The BIOS version I'm pretty certain is the one that came with the mobo originally. If it wasn't, it was updated withing months of putting the system together, meaning over a year ago easily.

I'm reinstalling because of the viruses, just to clean things up, and also I put in a CD-R/W drive that's new to the system, it uses the drivers in windows, haven't forced any new drivers on it. Before first reformat, it installed and burned 1 cd adequately, using nero 5.5.

OK, am in the process of getting a samsung HD utility.

I'll report back with the results soon after I get them.

The link was the first link of the thread.

If you looked at it, you mighta thought, "Well, that doesn't help much" and forgot about it. smile

I don't think this forum allows image posts, but I've started a thread at beyondunreal about just the CMOS clear. If you'd like to have an up close look at the 1.00 mobo from manual, and a macro shot of my 1.03 mobo, here is the link.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1505467

Still working on the HD utility (put it on hold for a few to make the image in link)

Originally posted by AlecStaar:P.S.=> At the software level, you look "SOL" (outta luck politically correct term lol)... next, look over your mobo tech specs, & see if there is a BIOS update!

It may correct for it since you think this is the ORIGINAL bios level revision still... OEM of that mobo may have fixed it to interact with windows better! Samsung tools are not a bad idea either... GOOD LUCK MAN! apk

Ya, that's why I asked earlier about the BIOS flash. After getting burned on a bad flash, I try to put that off until a last resort.

I'll probably look through the BIOS update fixes if the HD utility does a lengthy test. If I know I have to, I definatly will. If it's less then a 'probably need to' than I'll put it off to a last resort.

Question: Is a Clear CMOS in effect done when the BIOS is updated, or is that an exclusive process? I was thinking the flash essentially did a clear, but I'm not certain.

Originally posted by AlecStaar:Either I overlooked you had done a bad flash, or you did not mention it... Does not matter either way!

Sorry for being vague. I meant years ago on a completely different system. (I would've mentioned that if it were this system as it could relate, but you don't know what I would or wouldn't mention of course, so anyway.... wink )

As far as the bios goes, I'm starting to think it's the main problem as well. With the new battery the bios still can't make up it's mind as far as quick posts or slow posts.

Am currently "zeroing out" the entire HD. Will likely flash the BIOS when that's done.

Will try to report back soon after I have something new to report.

Here's the bios updates.

It's looking very likely I'll update, so don't rack your brain trying to figure out if I should. I'm mearly posting them in case you or another reader are interested, since I'm going through the hassle of reading them all anyway.

First release.

It needs to use bundled aflash.exe from 101nvm.zip to update it.

Fix Fan Speed error after unplugging fan connector.

Set Thermal chip temperature offset for TouroughBred CPU.

New BIOS support XP2400+ and above.

Enhance DDR module compatibility.

Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

OK the manual and the readme that came with the flash say to select menu option update bios including Boot Block and ESCD.

But the Flash screen clearly says Update Bios without Boot Block and ESCD.

What should I do?!?

Granted, this is only listed as applying to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

But under "More Information" it states:

Quote:
The fixmbr command causes this error message to be displayed on your computer system whenever you run the command, regardless of the state of the Master Boot Record (MBR).

Might this also apply to XP?!?

This might explain why after "fixing" the MBR and checking it probably less then five minutes later, it still needed "fixing".

;(

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266745

(CHKDSK EventLog)

Originally posted by ConQueso:

Quote:
Code:
Event Type:	InformationEvent Source:	WinlogonEvent Category:	NoneEvent ID:	1001Date:		6/19/2004Time:		12:50:53 PMUser:		N/AComputer:	COMPUTERDescription:Checking file system on D:The type of the file system is NTFS.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk.                         Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.Cleaning up 19 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 19 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 19 unused security descriptors.CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...File data verification completed.CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...Free space verification is complete.  35005603 KB total disk space.    929104 KB in 8606 files.      2116 KB in 551 indexes.         0 KB in bad sectors.     76231 KB in use by the system.     65536 KB occupied by the log file.  33998152 KB available on disk.      4096 bytes in each allocation unit.   8751400 total allocation units on disk.   8499538 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:e0 23 00 00 d0 23 00 00 64 28 00 00 00 00 00 00  .#...#..d(......38 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 72 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  8.......r.......48 fa 7b 00 00 00 00 00 b6 dc 52 06 00 00 00 00  H.{.......R.....8e bd 9f 00 00 00 00 00 4a 96 a1 1e 00 00 00 00  ........J.......68 8c 1f 4e 02 00 00 00 a6 4e 60 7b 02 00 00 00  h..N.....N`{....99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 9e 21 00 00 00 00 00 00  ..6......!......00 40 b5 38 00 00 00 00 27 02 00 00 00 00 00 00  .@.8....'.......Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

What are the relevant statements regarding possible drive problems, and what do they mean and to what degree?

Did BIOS flash to latest version.

Still wondering about the "Cleaning up 19 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9", is this a bad thing or just NTFS drive maintenance that should be expected? Exactly how bad of a thing is it for checkdisk to report these?

Digging up a log from a scan on one of my computers revealed a log devoid of "Cleaning up 19 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9"-like entries, and a message saying something like "Windows found no errors on this drive" immediately under "free space verification is complete.

Couldn't get anywhere with the 1001 bit, but it was the same number on the above mentioned log as well...

Currently running a samsung drive test utility.

Well. I think the BIOS is doing better.

I'm going to run the Samnsung test again. So far the drive has passed once.

I'm not certain how thorough it is either, I'll time it to give a rough estimate. All tests but the surface scan don't take very long. I think there is only a breif read/write test...

Found out it's the NAV 2004 softare that seems to be causing the chkdsk boot problems. As I fully updated the system without it, did a chkdsk, installed NAV, updated it, ran a chkdsk, and have the same problem back.

It also is still preventing safe mode. NAV also seems to have caused this.

Haven't found much about this from the Symantec knowledge base or Google... frown

Thanks.

I think I'm going to put this HD in my spare computer, reinstall the OS on it and run a chkdsk on the separate hardware.

Will report the results later.

OK, I've done a fresh install after a quick zero out by the samsung utility on different hardware.

The first chkdsk was more of the same, Cleaning up of minor inconsitancies on the drive.

Then the next 3 all had no problems:

"Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."

Next, I put it back, but use the same cable as is attached to it now. Hopefully it's the cable and not the mobo.

1) Originally it was using an UDMA cable. When I threw it into my spare parts computer, it was using a standard IDE cable. It currently still is, and will scndsk a few times using it immediately after OS install (as done on the spare parts rig). After I do that, I'll probably test it in the same (original) computer, but using a different UDMA cable.

2) I ran the "no problems" chkdsk scans on the alternate HW with only the OS installation, no updates, no NAV etc. (not even SP1).

I'll run the next set of scans under the software conditions.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the the HW situation so I can return the computer to my friend. The windows disk can be used if need be for a scndsk. So I'm putting the NAV situation on the back burner.

3) I'll have to check that later, as I'm reformatting the HD again ATM.

Hmmm...

Not sure about the HD... Just (literally) found some new info and am trying to put it all together.

http://search.microsoft.com/search/resul...+chkdsk&s=1

I don't think the logs have been saying

"Windows has made corrections to the file system."

or

"Windows found problems with the file system."

So is this just simple housecleaning?