Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vermyn

iTunes-esque store for Linux?

Can anyone point me in the direction of an iTunes-like store to purchase and download music? I used buymusic.com while in Windows, but I'm trying to use Linux as much as possible. Aside from just finding a freebie MP3 out there on some FTP server, I'd rather pay for it ala .99 cents per song.

Can anyone out there recommend an online music store that is Linux compatible? Doesn't have to be an iTunes file format... actually I'd prefer OGG or MP3, but I know the likelihood of that is slim since there's no ridiculous DRM for those file formats...

I'm afraid there isn't as far as i know. Apparently, these companies don't find it feasible. Use Lime Wire.

LimeWire worked great... found what I was looking for almost instantly. Thanks!

http://www.emusic.com supports linux and it runs fine on my debian box. I wrote some instructions on setting it up in gnome. on my crappy website that I never update. smile hey I'm a busy man.

http://www.lilelvis.com/crap.html

or....

Emusic and Gnome

To get the Emusic Downloader working with Gnome , Galeon and Debian

After running through the install instructions here all you got to do To get this to work with Galeon or Epiphany is add the following to your File types and programs. go to The Aplications menu then choose Desktop Preferences > Advanced > File types and programs. You will get this nice little box with all of your application associations in it. You can put it anywhere but I choose Audio > then Add File Type... in the Description field put whatever you want. MIME Type is application/vnd.emusic-emusic_package the filename extension is emp then add the emusic downloader as the default action. Enjoy.