Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

few questons

i just got back into linux seeing as how my parents took away all my linux stuff for awhile anyway i got mandrake 10 official edition

which seems to fix all the problems i had with ce

specs

Hp a220n

Nforce 2mobo

120 Gb hard drive

Atholon xp 2600+

Audigy

Altec lansing 4.1 media speakers

i think thats all that owuld be needed any more specs just ask

now the questions

1: 4.1 sound ability do i have to use alsa to do this becuase i know i had it set up in ce but i forgot how i did it any suggestions, as well as the ability to get a equalizer i miss my eax ability

2nd: Totem media player wont play mpg or mpegs whenever i do it emmits out a loud beep that wont end and when i press the power button on my pc it wont turn off i have to pull out the power cable any idea on the totem media player

3rd: gnome 2.6/2.7 anyone heard about the rpms for 10 oe like when they coming out

thanks in advance for the help

Never fooled around with an Audigy but there should be ample information on the net by now that tells how to configure it. I seem to remember you have to use alsa with it. Do a google on

Mandrake 10 Audigy alsa

And see what comes up.

I've had problems with Totem and Mplayer under Mandrake and Redhat/Fedora. Not that they aren't good players, but Xine seems to configure more easily for me, and I think it renders as good as the others. I seem to remember it comes with Mdk 10. Check under multimedia and see if it is installed. If not, go as root:

urpmi xine [enter]

And see if it is available.

I would use whatever version of Gnome comes standard with Mdk 10. If you try to go with a newer version not listed in Mandrake packages, you may be asking for a lot of problems..

Sounds like a pretty smokin' box you got there..

smile

it downloaded the alsa driver and said it couldnt install and i tried getting some other driver and it says it requires kernel source to compile but i had this problem before i noticed kde didnt have it but gnome did and i only installed gnome

what should i do

thanks dapper it covered my old problem from ce incidentally i just had to uninstall kde for sound and almost anything else to work thus the questions on gnome

getting sound isnt an issue it is simply i want 4.1 sound since i got it ig possible im looking at installing items next its giving me stuff about kernel source not found i know that this was an issue if you ran under kde but not under gnome im looking at alsa wont let me install im going to look for some guides to installing and then go from there im even going to try compiling gnome 2.6 once i get my cable back up and running